Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Job ID: 156594
Category: Clinical Support
Work Type: PT 20+ HOURS
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Date Posted: Oct 18, 2022
Work Schedule: Part Time Night Shift
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Provides patient care under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse. Performs duties that support the operation of the nursing unit. Adheres to Nursing Policies and Procedures and Organizational Goals and Objectives.
- Patient Care Responsibilities:
- Provides age appropriate care for the patient population served. For example, gives consideration to growth & developmental phase of life, to age related factors such as thermal regulation, nutrition, safety and prevention of infection.
- Uses appropriate resources for patients with special needs such as language barriers, sensory problems, altered cognition, cultural and religious needs.
- Integrates principles of infection control and infection prevention into practice.
- Uses standard precautions and uses personal protective equipment to protect self from accidental exposure to blood borne pathogens.
- Adheres to aseptic and sterile technique.
- Respects dignity and confidentiality of Operating Room patients and meets psychosocial needs.
- Uses resources and references for reviewing policies and procedures, information needed to complete job duties.
- Prioritizes and organizes work effectively within assigned shift.
- Performs procedures within the scope of the Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Demonstrates competency to perform the scrub role in assigned surgical procedures.
- Participates in the patient’s plan of care under direction of RN.
- Anticipates the needs of the surgeon and assistant during surgical procedures. Relates the needs of the surgical team to the RN (circulating nurse).
- Assumes responsibility for the operation, care and handling of the surgical instrumentation. Assists in proper cleaning, decontamination procedures when case is completed. Reports any broken or malfunctioning equipment in a timely manner.
- Collaborates with the surgeons to assist in attainment of cost effective service provisions to minimize waste and improper utilization of supplies and materials.
- Identifies and utilizes for the proper function of all surgical instrumentation.
- Identifies appropriate instrumentation and equipment for operative procedures anticipating the needs of the surgical team.
- Checks sterile supplies for packaging, integrity, sterility, and expiration dates upon introduction to the sterile field.
- Performs sponge, sharps and instrument counts according to policy and institutes corrective actions when counts are incomplete, and assures final count/clearing of items from room.
- Provides for accurate care and handling of all specimens and cultures.
- Utilizes proper body mechanics when moving patients, equipment or lifting trays.
- Communicates patient and unit information to the RN and interdisciplinary care team in a timely manner.
- Uses effective communication during hand-offs (e.g. break report, shift report, etc.)
- Demonstrates a cheerful friendly manner while on duty
- Receives report and clarifies information as needed.
- Informs charge nurse when leaving the unit for any reason.
- Accepts assignments and performs as a team member.
- Utilizes communication tools (i.e. staff meeting minutes, e-mail.) Incorporates information into performance.
- Role Development:
- Develops own knowledge via practice, observation, and attending continuing education programs.
- Promotes best practice by demonstrating a commitment to quality patient care.
- Promotes innovation and creativity in the practice environment.
- Serves as a preceptor and mentor for new employees.
- Accepts constructive feedback about performance or behaviors and shows evidence of change.
- Demonstrates verbal and writing skills that are appropriate for healthcare communication.
- Adheres to the Operating Room Dress Code.
- Department of Nursing and Organization Support:
- Attends departmental in services. Attends outside conferences that enhance performance, knowledge and growth.
- Communicates support of organizational values and strategies.
- Supports the following organizational programs: SCIP , iCare Values, Joint Commission Disease Specific Certification, Nursing Councils, and supports Magnet. Performs job duties in accordance with these standards.
- Maintains good attendance/lateness standards in accordance with Hospital policy.
- Departmental Support:
- Maintains equipment in working order. Uses equipment appropriately, follows department policies for equipment and supply use, cleaning and maintenance.
- Performs assigned duties to maintain unit in a state of survey readiness and maintain quality initiatives. For example, quality control measures, emergency equipment checks, department cleanliness, etc.
- Performs assigned duties such as unit errands, stocking supplies, returning equipment to Central Supply, answering unit phone, etc.
- Adheres to unit programs to support patient care such as maintaining a quiet environment and customer service, etc.
- Attends staff meetings on a regular basis.
- Keeps patient care area and work environment neat and organized.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- Certified Surgical Technologist
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Graduate of Surgical technician program
Operating Room experience
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE