Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Access Services Associate I
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 151719
Category: Customer Service/Patient Access
Work Type: PT 20+ HOURS
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Variable
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Department: Access Center
- The Access Services Associate (ASA) is a call center based customer service position supporting Penn Medicine ambulatory practices. This phone based, high volume role supports several types of patient interactions including registration, appointment scheduling, referrals and pre-authorizations. The position requires superior and compassionate customer service skills with a focus on Productivity to satisfy financial and operational targets of the Health System.
- This is primarily a Work From Home position
- This position requires the agent to learn and execute several protocols for a limited number of UPHS Departments.
- Strives to understand and anticipate patient needs to improve the patient encounter and overall Penn Medicine experience, manages service recovery efforts when needed, enlisting management assistance as appropriate.
- Answer phones supporting Access Center SL goals and follow department protocols to manage patient requests. Communicate patient need by thoroughly completing encounter documentation, taking detailed notes and route appropriately through EMR.
- Complete call processing in an efficient manner; remain aware of call volumes and Service Level performance (when notified); work as part of the team to handle the call volumes.
- Schedule patient appointments by determining reason for visit, following established schedules and protocols, using appropriate billing area/appointment location, communicating changes and confirming appointments, and, as needed, offering alternative and canceling/rescheduling appointments.
- Communicates with patients by using the AIDET model (Acknowledge, Introduce, Duration, Explanation and Thank You) and keeps manager aware of potential issues as they arise.
- Issues referrals for patients as required and as per protocol.
- Maintain knowledge of basic Medical terminology, Computer and EMR skills
- Ensure patients are well prepared for their visit by accurately scheduling with the appropriate physician and specialty. Accurately communicate and set patient expectations in a clear, empathetic manner to help ensure they arrive for their appointment with all pertinent information and care coordination (medical records, test results, referrals, copays). In addition, patients will be provided information on directions, parking and building navigation.
- Coordinates clinical and administrative aspects of the new patient scheduling encounter.
- May assist with some Computer and System setup for Telemed Patient
- Explain the functionality on the MyPenn Medicine App
- Perform within the expected outcome of the Automated Call Distribution (ACD) environment.
- Solves telephone issues and timely reports problems related to volume to manager.
- Follow established downtime procedures for registration
- As needed: assist with coverage of POS and Pre-Processing Areas, create/mail new patient packets, appointment ‘bumping’, wait list scheduling, resource scheduling, and team scheduling.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of insurance requirements pertinent to patient service and billing procedures: including basic knowledge of all managed care plans and which insurers require a copayment or referral.
- Validates patient demographic/insurance information and/or registers new patients into EMR using established protocols
- Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulatory standards (ex TJC, DOH, FDA, HIPAA, HCFA, DPW, LCGME, SCGME, etc.)
- Flexible and readily adopts new processes and engages in practice operation changes.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 0-1 years Medical office experience, or customer service experience preferred.
Must successfully complete/pass EPIC schedgistration training/tests
- Associate's, Bachelor's may be considered in lieu of experience
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE