Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Patient Financial Advocate
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 157637
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Oct 25, 2022
Work Schedule: Variable
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Location: 3400 Spruce Street
- The Patient Financial Advocate serves to assist scheduled ambulatory patients by assessing and ultimately resolving their financial situations prior to receiving treatment, especially those who are uninsured, underinsured and have low incomes. This includes establishing payment plans and other financial arrangements, determining patient's eligibility for Medical Assistance and other available financial assistance, and collecting patient's remaining estimated balances at point of service, to ensure timely payment for services rendered.
- Ensure internal processes are followed to capture work queue and obtain referred cases/patients that require assistance
- Conduct detailed discussion with patients, obtain insurance information and complete required tasks to determine patient’s eligibility for Medicaid and other state, federal and local government programs
- Meet with patients on a one on one basis to discuss the cost of hospital services and current financial situations, obtaining all pertinent demographic information and financial data to ensure resolution of account
- Review and ensure the accuracy of patient insurance coverage information
- Obtain sufficient information from the patient to enable staff to assess patient eligibility for various forms of financial assistance
- Use patient information and established guidelines to calculate the amount of financial assistance patients ultimately receive
- Assist patients in completing all applications required to receive external eligibility and internal financial assistance; follows up with potential sources of aid until determination of approval or a denial is received.
- Calculate patient’s remaining balances and then discuss and finalize the method of resolving patient balances through point of service collections, payment plans or other arrangements, to be determined by date of service
- Request payments from patients at point of service
- Communicate with service delivery areas when unresolved financial issues require a delay in treatment
- Facilitate financial communications between patient access services, physicians, and hospital departments when necessary
- Seek assistance from Social Workers and Clinical Resource Management when needed to maintain patient flow while resolving financial issues
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Associate of Arts or Science and 5+ years within a Hospital Revenue Cycle Department
- Bachelor's degree and 3+ years within a Hospital Revenue Cycle Department
- H.S. Diploma/GED and 7+ years within a Hospital Revenue Cycle Department
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE