Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Director of Operations Penn Primary Care
Job ID: 159669
Work Type: FT
Location: Bala Cynwyd, PA, United States
Date Posted: Nov 1, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Department: Penn Medicine Primary Care
Location: Penn Medicine - 150 Monumnet Road
- The Director of Operations, Primary Care partners with the Regional Medical Director in a dyad model and is jointly responsible for the strategic growth of a regional market and the successful operations and financial performance of the ambulatory facilities within the market in collaboration with key stakeholders throughout UPHS. The Director supports executive leadership by leading and developing a team of highly capable, committed people who share a passion for person centered, high quality primary care. For those primary care practices that have specialty providers embedded within, the PPC Director will partner with the Penn Specialty Practices (PSP) Director to ensure management and staff are supported, engaged and informed of the specialties they support
- Typical scope of the combined practices for this role is up to: 50 providers, 200 staff, 250,000 annual patient visits and $40M in annual operating revenue. Areas of complex functionality, broad organizational impact and matrixed leadership structures.
- Strategic Planning (Meet people where they are)
- • Partners with key stakeholders in developing a strategic plan and budget, implementation plans, and ongoing brand and market strategies for region. Participates in the development of strategic capital and other resource priorities and manages them for maximum benefit. Demonstrates understanding of the environmental dynamics of the region including: competition, local regulatory issues, demographic changes, cultural and social context, unique needs of populations, etc.
- • Develops programs, services and initiatives to meet community needs, build customer loyalty and generate growth. Has ability to inform, influence and provide sound rationale to physicians in recommending strategic change. Engages project teams in the implementation of new services to promote accessible care.
- • Informs and advises key stakeholders of regional trends, issues, and activities to transform primary care delivery and its relation to ambulatory services. Leverages technology to facilitate consumer self-service and its implications on the delivery of and the reimbursement for services.
- • Collaborates with the marketing team in the planning and execution of marketing plans.
- Quality Improvement & Regulatory Compliance (Reliably care for all people)
- • Collaborates with practice leadership to implement the performance improvement process with a focus on team, customer and clinician satisfaction, as well as access, quality and operational efficiency. Studies social needs and removes barriers to enhance adherence and access to appropriate care.
- • Uses knowledge of value based payer agreements and the metrics associated to develop appropriate, aligned SMART goals and removes team barriers to ensure reliable, high quality outcomes. Provides needed support and tools to ensure success and holds practice leadership accountable to meeting goals.
- • Demonstrates willingness to test changes and adjust standard processes when better ways emerge via data. Facilitates the spread of good ideas across the region and escalates in effort to foster spread and system collaboration.
- • Implements and adheres to leadership rounding activities. Ensures all areas of accountability are compliant with all federal, state and local regulatory standards and requirements.
- Team Creation & Development (Optimize equitable health outcomes)
- • Develops and maintains strong internal relationships within the entity and across UPHS through open, timely, and direct communication. Spends deliberate time with staff and providers to understand needs and to build trust. Creates collaborative and productive partnerships with primary and specialist physicians in the region. Develops and maintains strong professional working relationships with external partners, including vendors, business affiliates, and other contracted services.
- • Engage teams with appreciative inquiry by asking open-ended questions and sincerely listening to people’s responses to create an environment that fosters trust and transparency. Champions curiosity in effective meetings to brainstorm and discuss ideas, promotes participation, makes improvement the norm and provides the support needed to execute.
- • Creates a learning culture, promotes psychological safety with all stakeholders, and proactively develops change management strategies for major organizational activities. Identifies and facilitates agreement of major messages which are consistent, equitable, credible and reflect core values.
- • Builds and leads to sustain a culture, which promotes innovation, teamwork and customer service excellence. Ensures that established system standards and policies and procedures are adhered to consistently.
- • Participates in and champions the recruitment process for management, provider, and staff positions; identifying candidates that demonstrate professionalism and cultural fit. Directly supervises practice managers and other assigned employees; holds direct reports accountable to standards of professionalism – leads by example. Recruit, onboard and retain candidates with professionalism and cultural fit.
- • Develop, educate and coach leaders relative to interpersonal skills serving to maximize employee and customer experiences, adherence and efficiency.
- • Develops staff by ensuring work expectations are clearly defined and communicated; addressing performance issues and skill deficits immediately and professionally – managing staff to results; and assigning work that uses staff skills/talents, provides responsibility and challenge, allows for creativity, and offers leadership opportunity.
- Patient Care Experience & Process (Create frictionless experiences)
- • Ensures all patient care related processes within each practice setting deliver high quality and efficient care to patients and their families by:
- ◦ Ensuring that teams and individuals have the clinical, information and organizational tools to serve our patients and customers effectively and efficiently.
- ◦ Continuously communicates to physicians, practice managers and staff the importance of patient satisfaction, quality of care, and sound financial performance
- ◦ Champions our successes and priorities for improving performance in meeting and exceeding patient and customer expectations.
- • Directs the alignment of people within each practice and facility to work as a team in creating a seamless delivery system. Facilitates referrals to key resources, partners and risk-stratifies patient needs to ensure optimal health outcomes.
- • Partners with the Access Center, Penn Partners in Care, Penn Integrated Care, Penn Med @ Home and other population health resources and departments to facilitate extraordinary patient experiences. Develops and maintains strong professional working relationships with external partners. Creates collaborative and productive partnerships with primary and specialist physicians in the region.
- Financial Management (Improve Value of Care Delivery)
- • Assumes overall accountability for financial performance of practices across the region. Holds practice leadership accountable, where and when necessary, to meet established goals.
- • Partners with executives, peers, practice, and physician dyad leadership teams in developing performance targets, reporting variances and creating remediation plans. Support implementation of managed care contracts and appropriate stewardship of organizational resources. Communicates performance targets and expectations to practice leadership and provides support to help ensure success.
- • Maximize operational workflow in practices and ambulatory sites to ensure optimal utilization of the team. Redistributes resources based on the region’s needs. Maintains a comprehensive understanding of practice operations including: scheduling, registration, authorization/referral, and billing/coding functions.
- • Review monthly financial reports and variance analyses. Monitor performance of practices and ambulatory sites via scorecards, P&Ls, and key performance indicators (KPIs). Perform trend analysis and implement changes to meet desired goals. In partnership with revenue process team, optimizes accounts receivable processes and outcomes within each practice and across the region. With support from finance, manages the annual operating and capital budgets for practices, facilities and programs.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- 10+ years relevant experience required, including 8+ years of prior management experience, preferably in a healthcare setting
- Master of Arts or Science
- Degree may be considered in lieu of some experience.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE