Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Pharmacy Technician I - Pennsylvania Hospital
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 156631
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Nov 3, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Under the direct supervision of registered pharmacists, Pharmacy technicians assist in the preparation and filling of medication orders and medication carts; performs critical pharmacy calculations; compounds sterile and non-sterile preparations using appropriate pharmaceutical technique. Utilizes various computerized programs and technical equipment for the various functions listed above. Performs medication distribution to patients. Performs nursing unit quality assurance inspections. Restocks and reorders necessary pharmacy inventory. Satisfactorily passes required hospital and government validation examinations.
- Accurately interprets, fills, delivers, restock, store, return, waste all inpatient and outpatient (if applicable) medication orders under the direct supervision of a registered pharmacist.
- Demonstrates and maintains proficiency in all medication preparation and dispensing processes, including IV admixture preparation, repackaging, checking and replenishing of medication kits. Accurately performs all dosage calculations necessary to prepare or compound a medication for dispensing.
- Effectively utilizes and maintains available technology - (including, but not limited to Omnicell, clinical information systems, labeling, and distribution technology).
- Proactively assesses and maintains adequate medication and supply inventory levels in all areas of the pharmacy and other areas of the hospital. Communicates replenishment needs as necessary per departmental procedures.
- Adheres to all policies, procedures, laws and regulations that govern the handling, dispensing and storage of controlled substances. Completes and maintains all necessary documentation. Reports any irresolvable discrepancies to supervising pharmacist immediately.
- Effectively participates in the training and orientation of new pharmacists, technicians and students.
- Performs all medication unit inspections, as assigned, in a timely manner. Proactively removes outdated medications from drug storage areas. Follows established processes and procedures for the handling and storage of outdated medications.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervising pharmacist or pharmacy management in an effective and timely manner.
- Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) certification upon hire or within 6 months of hire date
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Associate of Arts or Science preferred.
- Prior hospital or retail pharmacy experience.
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required).
- Inpatient pharmacy or sterile compounding experience preferred.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE