Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Concierge, Penn Signature Services - (Part-time)
Job ID: 155762
Category: Customer Service/Patient Access
Work Type: PT -19 HOURS
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Nov 3, 2022
Work Schedule: 10:00AM-6:30PM | Weekends and Ad hoc
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Under moderate supervision, the Concierge, Penn Signature Services (C, PSS) is responsible for providing the highest level of service for all patients entering the University of Pennsylvania Health System/Penn Medicine through the Penn Signature Services Program (Penn Passport, Executive Health, Patient Facilitated Services, Penn Global Medicine). The Concierge engages directly with the patient and his/her caregiver(s) to facilitate all non-clinical customer service-related needs during the patient's course of care. Patient coverage occurs 24 hours a day/7 days per week, thus on-call availability is expected of the individual in this position. Coverage of weekend and evening shifts is required. Assures that all privacy and HIPAA standards are maintained throughout the entire duration of the patient's care continuum.
- Guides patients and caregiver(s) through the UPHS by assisting with access issues, developing relationships with service providers, and keeping abreast of initiatives throughout the UPHS. Provides patients and caregiver(s) with personalized solutions to any questions or issues by suggesting resolution via activities and facilities provided by UPHS and by promoting the services of the Pavilion and amenities available to PSS patients. Arranges events, excursions, transportation and additional items upon request by patient and/or caregiver(s).
- Welcomes patients and caregiver(s) upon admission to the UPHS, ensuring that navigation to the appropriate destination is completed at time of initial visit, as needed. Addresses cultural elements of care with both domestic and international patient populations, confirming that language and cultural needs are met throughout the individual’s continuum of care at UPHS. Escorts patients and family members to appointments (may include early morning, late evening and weekend appointments). Provide follow up regarding ongoing services to the patient and caregiver(s) throughout continuum of care. Prepares and coordinates the schedule with the patient and with internal PSS staff prior to the appointments.
- Perform customer service intake assessments for domestic and international PSS patients, identifying non-clinical special needs and requests throughout the patient’s course of care at UPHS. These needs may include, but are not limited to: language, culture, housing, transportation, travel, and logistic issues. Assist patients in understanding the resources available to the patient and his/her caregiver(s) within the UPHS and within the Philadelphia community.
- Establishes and fosters relationships with clinicians, administrators, and internal UPHS staff, as the Concierge is responsible for surveying the UPHS system for eligible patients to board on the Pavilion. Duties related to this initiative will include but are not limited to engaging in daily phone calls and in-person meetings with staff from the admissions office, clinicians, and patients/caregivers/representatives.
- Collaborate on a routine and frequent basis with the patient’s care coordinator and with members of the PSS staff regarding the patient, his/her needs, and the strategic plan to address all non-clinical matters. Maintain daily record of work activities including but not limited to daily patient visits and requests and document all activity in the PSS database platform, Evariant-Salesforce. Provide daily updates to senior management regarding operations and patient activity.
- Manage and coordinate resolution of PSS patient relation issues and non-clinical matters when necessary. The concierge will make no clinical decisions and will not communicate results of clinical tests/procedures/diagnostic testing to any individual but will forward any inquiries to clinical staff to ensure that the patient’s questions are answered in a timely fashion.
- Facilitate inquiries and requests regarding the PSS program and ensure that the appropriate stakeholders are aware of the information being requested. This task will include professional communication with internal and external sources including but not limited to administrative staff, members of the UPHS Development offices, patients, caregivers, families, and external personnel.
- Act as an ambassador for the PSS program to internal and external stakeholders. The Concierge will be able to clearly communicate the mission of the PSS department and will speak to the role of PSS within the UPHS
- Assist senior management in the development of patient education programs and initiatives, including metrics to measure patient satisfaction, and assist in developing ideas and strategic plans for customer service improvement.
- Facilitate continuous improvement in patient and caregiver(s) satisfaction and ranking of quality of services. Identify service delivery/quality issues and implement/track corrective action plans with the oversight of PSS management.
- Assist in increasing philanthropic efforts across the UPHS by engaging in routine communication with officers within the Development Office about the PSS patient population.
- Facilitate collection of funds to secure private room/wing in the Pavilion with the assistance of the financial officers and coordinators within the PSS program.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree in Healthcare or International Studies (Preferred)
- 3+ years of comparable work experience required in a similar position within healthcare, hospitality or the hotel industry (Required)
- Experience in a healthcare setting that involved significant interaction with patients and/or clinicians preferred (Preferred)
Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated interpersonal/verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated written communication skills
- Utilizes proper telephone etiquette
- Client and customer relations skills
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Ability to use Microsoft Office (Excel, Power Point, Word)
- Ability to work within a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to demonstrate patience
- Proficiency in foreign languages
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE