This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 159413
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Nov 8, 2022
Work Schedule: Day Shift Hours
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) is looking for Cytotechnologist (Full Time/Day Shift) to join the team!
• Applies knowledge and skills when performing routine staining, mounting, and special procedures to detect evidence of cancer and other pathological conditions producing accurate and complete results
• Exercises professional judgment in determining the acceptability of results prior to verification or pathologists’ review
• Screens GYN and Non-Gyn specimens daily
• Operates and maintains complex instruments, procedures and computer systems
• Reviews quality control testing according to established protocol and executes corrective action
• Retrieves and reviews slides on atypical or suspicious and malignant cases
• Communicates effectively with co-workers, supervisor and patient units for clinical diagnoses on case
• Manages infectious specimens, hazardous chemicals, and potentially dangerous instruments in accordance to established hospital policies to maintain a safe working environment
• Continuously strengthens knowledge of laboratory principles and tests through participation in continuing education programs and individual research efforts
• Interprets and communicates laboratory results, procedures and policies to physicians and other hospital personnel. Recognizes critical conditions and responds
• Cytoprepare Non-Gyn specimens
• Trains and orients new employees, residents, and students
• Assists in the development of new technologies and test methodologies
• Evaluates new equipment
• Demonstrates financial accountability, accurate documentation of workload, and efficient use of reagents and supplies
• Performs other duties in area of responsibility that may be assigned
Education or Equivalent Experience:
• Baccalaureate degree in a biological or chemical science, and a graduate of an approved school of cytopathology.
• Certification as Cytotechnologist by the board of registry of the American Society for the Clinical Cytopathologists CT (ASCP).
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.