Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 160748
Work Type: PT -19 HOURS
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Date Posted: Nov 8, 2022
Work Schedule: Every Other Weekend Day Shift
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Under the direct supervision of a licensed Pharmacist, technicians are responsible for the preparation and distribution of all inpatient medications including neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patient populations. Technicians are also responsible for the preparation of IV admixtures using aseptic technique. Responsible for refilling pyxis machines and maintaining clean and organized machines. Keeps the inpatient pharmacy area stocked with medications. Removes expired medications and places in the appropriate expired storage area in the storeroom. Responsible for ordering medications when inventory is low. Trains new employees as necessary and works as a team player.
- Accurately fills Pyxis machine inventory lists with correct item and strength. Ensures all medications are checked by a pharmacist before delivery to the floor. Draws up oral syringes accurately.
- Processes a daily cart fill list and reviews list. Prepares drugs for individual patients on the list. Reviews list for drugs that can be added to Pyxis and takes the initiative to add those medications to the pyxis machine.
- Repackages bulk medications, as needed, into unit dose form according to “Good Manufacturing Practice” guidelines (e.g. Kwik-vial, Medidose, Medi-pak, etc.). Batches sufficient quantities of medications as needed while minimizing waste.
- Accurately prepares extemporaneous compounds as needed with complete understanding of weighing, measuring and mixing of all components to provide a homogenous, pharmaceutically elegant compound.
- Train new personnel in all aspects of pharmacy operations. Sign their orientation sheets when showing new person a particular function
- Fills prescriptions accurately to be checked by the pharmacist.
- Pulls expired medications from inpatient pharmacy and pyxis machines and places in expired medication bin in the pharmacy storeroom.
- Exhibits a complete understanding of aseptic technique principles. Works in an organized manner, batching products in accordance with Good Manufacturing Principles allowing no mix-up of look alike/ sound alike drugs.
- Consistently prepares sterile admixtures (NICU syringes, , IVPB’s, LVP’s,) according to aseptic technique principles. Prepares the correct number of doses, such that all doses are available by the next scheduled administration time.
- Accurately measures each ingredient, leaving each ingredient and syringe drawn back to appropriate calibration for pharmacist checking. Always informs the pharmacist when doses are ready for checking.
- If applicable, accurately places storeroom order on Mondays and Thursdays before 1100 and the Abbott order on Tuesdays before 1400. Puts these supplies away appropriately when they arrive to the pharmacy within 24 hours of their arrival.
- Maintains the back IV storeroom. This includes the proper rotation of IV’s by taking the oldest stock when replenishing the main IV room stock.
- Effectively communicates to the next shift any functions that may need to be done for the efficient operation of the pharmacy and IV room. (i.e. prepacking, etc.)
- Prepares Open Heart Kits correctly and in a timely manner when assigned. Prepares Cardioplegic solutions as needed according to the posted schedule.
- Able to refill medications to the pyxis machine and assign expiration dates. Able to determine what type of pocket is best for loading a new medication.
- Able to assign med from pharmacy or assign and load a med at the station. Loads controlled substances to correct pocket type. Able to unload a medication and rearrange medication to a different location.
- Performs outdate function on the pyxis machine all week when assigned.
- Accurately refills controlled substances to the machine and resolves discrepancies that are caused by your error.
- Change inventory maximum numbers to reflect usage and improve efficiency.
- Able to recover a failed drawer and is always willing to assist nurses when on the floors.
- Reviews patient specific meds on a daily basis and returns meds to pharmacy when appropriate.
- Properly receives the order in the absence of the purchasing technician and ensures that all medication barcodes are in the current pharmacy drug master database by scanning in and checking description and size. If successful scan does not occur, the product is given to a pharmacist or barcode technician for addition to the database. This must be completed to ensure nursing is able to successfully scan each medication upon administration.
- Restocks all areas of the pharmacy as necessary. Checks for outdates monthly. Maintains a clean and organized work area.
- CPHT or CPT
- Certified technician in the state of PA preferred.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- H.S. Diploma/GED required.
- Completion of a technician course and 0-1 years Prior hospital experience preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE