Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Practice Manager - Penn Medicine Mayfair
Job ID: 159193
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Nov 10, 2022
Work Schedule: Days 40 Hours per week
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Penn Medicine Mayfair has a Practice Manager opportunity
- The Practice Manager is expected to develop and maintain a close working relationship with the key stakeholders at each entity.
- The Practice Manager, in collaboration with department leadership, will provide strategic operational leadership, supervision and direction for all administrative, financial, regulatory, quality, human resources, patient/employee satisfaction, and clinical aspects for the Department of Cardiology. The Practice Manager will be expected to collaborate with department leaders throughout the health system, leadership, as well as hospital leadership to deliver outstanding quality cancer care to our patients.
- The Practice Manager should demonstrate flexibility in this new and growing environment and contribute to the department's overall strategic plan and programmatic development.
- Complexity Factors (may likely involve some of the following factors of practice complexity): multiple practice locations, high practice/facility square footage, service line oversight, coordination of inpatient services, coordination of care across several departments/entities, academic involvement (research initiatives, resident program), special clinical programs, multiple clinical specialties, complex regulatory requirements, management of external partnerships/collaborations.
- Management of daily practice operations:
- Patient scheduling, billing, and coordination of services/facility(ies).
- Providing quality care to patients; championing quality initiatives with the providers and staff.
- Achieving quality goals through the Clinical Effectiveness Team & Commission on Cancer work.
- maintaining a patient/customer focus as evidenced by patient satisfaction scores (Press Ganey) and other indicators.
- Achieving financial goals related to budget.
- Offering a collaborative work environment that values professional ownership/accountability for physicians and staff as demonstrated through retention and engagement/satisfaction scores
- Regularly reviewing work processes to ensure efficiency of work flow, including implementation of technology and best practices.
- Complying with regulatory requirements.
- Serving as liaison to embedded specialists, external stakeholders, other UPHS providers and acts as point person for general facility management.
- Managing (directly and indirectly) practice staff.
- Overseeing The Mesothelioma and Pleural Multi-Disciplinary Clinic and developing more multi-disciplinary clinics as the department grows.
- Programmatic development, such as the establishment of a breast program at PPMC. Internal Relationships:
- Employees - Regularly meets with employees to improve communication and to build productive relationships (staff and physicians). Solicits feedback on how to improve performance and provides constructive feedback.
- Employee Communication - Continuously communicates to physicians, and staff the importance of patient satisfaction (Press Ganey scores), quality of care, and sound financial performance; and champions our successes and priorities for improving performance in meeting and exceeding patient and customer expectations.
- Internal Partnerships – As requested, will work with leadership, clinical leadership, affiliates and suppliers in developing programs, services and initiatives to anticipate future customer needs, build customer loyalty and generate profitable growth. Participates in operational integration of programs by ensuring alignment of communication with department, entity, and practice Leadership and staff. Partners with the service line as well as department leaders within Oncology at other entities. External Relationships:
- Customer Relations - Personally spends time with staff, physicians, patients, and patient families, to understand their respective needs and expectations, to build relationships, and to gauge patient/customer satisfaction. Ensures patient and customer satisfaction through comprehensive and continuous measurement of customer satisfaction for all key customer groups.
- Facility Management: Develops positive relationships with building owner, construction, township and other personnel, as needed.
- Clinical Service Groups & Product Service Lines – As requested/needed, supports leadership in partnering with affiliates to develop mutually beneficial clinical, operational and marketing programs.
- Professional Associations & Benchmarking – As requested/needed, interfaces with relative industry associations as a representative of the organization and to identify benchmarks.
- Development – Identifies and participates in development activities as appropriate. Applies learning for improved performance.
- General Accountabilities:
- Demonstrates understanding and ownership of how his/her role contributes to achieving success.
- Demonstrates a personal commitment to ensuring a clean and safe working environment for patients and employees.
- Uses resources wisely.
- Strives to understand and value differences in others’ race, gender, nationality, and age – modifies interactions as needed to accommodate diverse needs of the patient/family.
- Participates in Entity and Department wide initiatives for Patient / Employee safety
- Strategic Planning Processes:
- Role may require collaboration with department and entity Leadership team in implementing department/ entity strategic plan and budget including prescribed strategic imperatives and measures of success at the practice
- As requested/needed, participate in program development efforts at the practice; including analysis, resource planning, and space/facility management.
- Patient Care Processes:
- Ensures all entity patient care related processes (patient registration/scheduling, medical records, clinical patient care, patient flow through office, etc) deliver high quality and efficient care to patients and their families. Provides hands-on coverage where needed and appropriate.
- Ensures practice environments of care are clean, safe and patient friendly.
- Ensure all outsourced services meet agreed upon service standards in support of all patient care processes
- Ensures that teams and individuals have the clinical, information and organizational tools to serve our patients and customers effectively and efficiently
- Resolves all patient/family concerns in a timely fashion
- Proactively identify problem areas, define plan for solution, take ownership of the plan, implement/monitor the plan’s effectiveness.
- Clinical Effectiveness and Quality Improvement:
- Supports the creation of clinical effectiveness targets, improvement plans and reporting systems to ensure the delivery of high quality, effective and efficient patient care
- Supports leadership to attain performance measurement and management system for key areas: access, quality, service and value.
- As needed, provides leadership to attain clinical effectiveness targets and strategies annually (part of budget process).
- Regularly monitors Press Ganey reports to ensure patient satisfaction and to ensure that the practice is meeting service line goals.
- Participates in Commission on Cancer meetings and monitors project progress/goals.
- Regulatory Compliance:
- Ensures all areas of accountability are compliant with all federal, state and local regulatory standards and requirements, including DOH, TJC, FDA, HIPAA, HCFA, DPW, OSHA and others for practices under their leadership.
- Complies with yearly education requirements including HIPAA, OSHA, Safety, and CLIA.
- If applicable, manages the audit/survey process for the practice(s)
- Change Management
- Provides support to entity and practice leadership to proactively develop change management strategies for major organizational and practice activities and events
- Implements change management strategy within the practice in alignment with entity/UPHS objectives.
- Communication plans are effectively implemented
- Ensure appropriate follow-up of major issues
- Manage routine and crisis communications throughout the practice/community as they arise
- Demonstrates recognition of the systemic impact of employee communication and/or policy changes and solicits proactive feedback prior to implementation.
- Financial Management
- Employee Payroll – Review, edit, approve all timecards bi-weekly; review overtime utilization and manage appropriately, manage employee and physician schedules and time off requests.
- Accountability for Practice financials including: Practice expense and revenue variances, AR indicators including write- offs; maintain understanding and find root causes for variances
- Entity Compliance and Management Control - Ensure regional/practice operations fully utilize appropriate financial controls and are in compliance with Federal, State, Professional and local financial requirements.
- Revenue Cycle Management –Provides practice revenue cycle management/oversight. Ensure practice alignment with all standards.
- Managed Care/Payer Management – Support implementation of managed care contracts and operational processes.
- Participation in the following duties may be assigned at the discretion of department and/or entity leadership :
- Practice Financial Strategies & Policies- Support the Operational and Finance Leadership teams in developing and implementing common financial systems and standards in a coordinated and efficient manner.
- Practice Budgeting and Operating Planning Analysis Assists in the development and implementation of capital and operating budgets using system wide standards and processes. Partners with department, practice leadership, and entity leadership team in developing performance targets, reporting variances and creating remediation plans.
- General Accountabilities
- Practice Schedules: Manage coverage in the practice to ensure adequate staffing for clinic operations.
- Office Supplies: Manage the efficient usage and ordering of office supplies to ensure adequacy
- Reporting: On a regular basis, to assess practice efficiency and/or to identify areas for improvement, run reports, analyze data, and generate summary findings to communicate to stakeholders.
- If Applicable, Research: Provide support to physicians in their research initiatives, such as ensuring compliance with the protocols and working together to implement research goals with clinic operations.
- If Applicable, Academic: Provide support to physicians for their academic involvement, such as CV/CME updates, credentialing, reimbursements, etc.
- Other Accountabilities: responsibilities may vary based on specific department/practice needs. Recruitment & Retention
- Selects practice staff who can demonstrate both the professional requirements and UPHS core values
- Creates a work environment that is aligned with UPHS Core Values.
- Ensures new hires are provided adequate orientation and training to display competence Performance Management
- Clearly defines work expectations
- Recognizes and rewards individuals for a job well done.
- Addresses performance issues immediately and directly.
- Conducts performance appraisals annually
- Ensures self and staff are compliant in mandatory trainings (KL) and competency assessments (if applicable)
- Assists staff in addressing challenges and skill deficits.
- Assigns work that uses staff skills and talents, provides responsibility and challenge, allows for creativity, and offers leadership opportunities.
- Continually provides guidance and support to team members.
- Encourages continuous growth and helps staff to realize full potential by identifying stretch objectives and creating learning plans. Development plans in place and reviewed annually.
- Organization Health
- Is easily accessible to physicians, and staff members.
- Establishes and ensures effective and ongoing communications.
- Workforce Planning
- When requested and appropriate, develop talent management and succession plans for current and future staffing needs.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Associate of Arts or Science
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 4+ years Relevant experience, including at least 1 year prior management experience in a healthcare setting. Degrees may be considered in lieu of total experience
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE