Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Mental Health Technician
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 159288
Category: Behavioral Health/Psychology
Work Type: PT 20+ HOURS
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Under the direction of the Registered Nurse, the Mental Health Technician is responsible for the performance of selected patient care activities that do not require full counseling certification or professional nurse skills, judgment and knowledge. (Part Time - 24 hours/week - Detox Center HUP Cedar)
- Demonstrates an understanding of the communication skills of listening, seeking clarification and sending clear messages at all times.
- Consistently demonstrates understanding of the difficulties patients face in attending to activities of daily life.
- Participates with the nurse in altering the discharge plan as indicated by the patient progress made during the shift.
- Always maintains a non-judgmental, non-threatening and therapeutic approach with patients.
- Implements appropriate actions for assigned patients to achieve goals at all times.
- Sets limits with assigned patients according to the team treatment plan at all times.
- Provides reality orientation for assigned patients at all times.
- Daily supports patients in performing the activities of daily living in a helpful and non-punitive manner at all times.
- Maintains therapeutic and dignified behavior with patients and families.
- Demonstrates knowledge and compliance with the Hospital Safety and Infection Control policies as required by OSHA and the Patient Safety Program.
- Demonstrating through one the following: policy implementation, direct observation, video review / testing, skills lab / proficiency testing, or written exam).
- Identifies safety problems encountered during the course of work that if corrected may result in the prevention of accident/injury to patients, employees and visitors and reports problems to appropriate supervisor.
- Consistently demonstrates knowledge of universal precautions, isolation procedures, and other infection control measures.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science
- Bachelor's Degree preferred from an accredited program in the area of human services which includes but is not limited to the following course work in sociology, psychology, political science, criminal justice, counseling, pastoral counseling elementary /special, family therapy or a related field and 0-1 years of Experience working in a Mental Health or related field.
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- H.S. Diploma/GED required and Minimum of 2 years experience (paid or unpaid)in human service field. This experience must involve direct contact with the individual receiving service (i.e. coaching, teaching, case management ,etc.)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE