Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Chief CRNA - Hospital of the Univ. of Pennsylvania and Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
Job ID: 161856
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Nov 15, 2022
Work Schedule: Days
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care is looking for a dynamic CRNA to assume the role of the Chief Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) to oversee the duties of the CRNAs located at the Hosptial of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) and Penn Presbyterian Medical Center (PPMC).
- The CRNA Chief is responsible for the oversight and direct leadership of the DACC CRNAs, in addition to providing clinical anesthesia care themselves at both HUP and PPMC campuses, as well as the Radnor campus as required. In this role, the Chief will be the POC for departmental executive leadership and the CRNA team. This position requires strong professionalism skills and the ability identify challenges and identify solutions. The Chief CRNA must be able to lead others to achieve the goals and mission of the Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine (DACC). The Chief CRNA must be able to motivate professionals and be able to manage conflict between and among CRNAs and other healthcare professionals and ancillary staff. This position will directly report to the DACC Executive Vice Chair and have an indirect reporting relationship to the DACC VC for Clinical Operations, the Executive Director of Perioperative Services at Presbyterian, and the DACC COO. This position will routinely interact and collaborate with the CRNA leadership team, DACC physician and administrative leadership, and many other internal and external institutional leaders. Significant aspects of recruitment, hiring, onboarding, and scheduling will fall under the purview of the Chief CRNA. This role requires clear and professional communication, significant organization, dynamic leadership skills and a fundamental understanding of Anesthesia operations. The non-clinical time commitment for this position is 50% with a clinical commitment of 50%, which is subject to change based on operational need.
- Regularly available and responsive to CRNA questions, issues, and concerns.
- Lead the development of policies that govern the work of the CRNAs in conjunction with DACC leadership recommendations.
- Possess a strong understanding of the CRNA schedule and partner with the CRNA Scheduler (Data Coordinator), the Associate Chief CRNAs, and other DACC clinical and operational leadership to ensure optimized and efficient staffing/scheduling throughout the DACC footprint. This includes management of holiday call requirements, monthly, daily, and weekly assignments, off site rotations, and call outs, among others. Additionally, frequently analyze data to correct staffing inefficiencies and implement updated scheduling rules and guidelines.
- Possess an understanding of CRNA payroll policies including but not limited to: attendance, paid time off, overtime pay and call pay, and partner with the CRNA Manager and, as needed, the DACC COO, on resolving concerns.
- Work frequently and collaboratively with leadership and the CRNA manager to provide clear, unified communication and standards to the CRNA group.
- Manage the non-clinical responsibilities of the Associate Chief CRNA and Quality and Safety CRNA through the development and ongoing management of matrix-driven performance plans
- Provide support to the Associate Chief CRNA and Clinical Coordinators to facilitate management of the CRNA and SRNA groups. This is to include assessing the clinical rotation opportunities for SRNAs in cooperation with the Clinical Coordinators.
- Participate in the Anesthesia Leadership Team and Hospital-Based committees, as needed, to represent the CRNA team; Offer insight and recommendations to DACC leadership regarding the CRNA group.
- Ensure CRNA staff adhere to all regulatory and professionalism requirements and provide feedback on deficiencies, as appropriate.
- Assist in gathering information, evaluation and feedback for performance evaluations for personnel; Facilitate opportunities for continuing education and professional development for the CRNA team
- Lead, and partner with the CRNA Associate Chiefs and DACC leadership on recruitment activities for CRNA and SRNAs, while providing structured shadow opportunities and evaluations for prospective hires. Additionally, will oversee onboarding, orientation and training for new staff.
- Lead managing and directing the work of the Staff CRNA and Student Nurse Anesthetists at HUP and Presbyterian
- Responsible for adherence of the CRNA staff to all regulatory requirements
- Responsible for CRNA staff competency and performance reviews as well as all education and related development.
- Responsible for inter and intradepartmental partnership on all productivity planning and metric development and oversight.
- Must practice providing anesthesia care
- Board Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Science (Required)
- RN, graduation from an approved CRNA school and certification by the AANA (CRNA certified)
- 7+ years Experience in CRNA management. in a Healthcare setting
Direct knowledge/experience in human resource management
Experience leading major projects and change management which impact an entire organization.
Experience in managing human resource relationships
Effective track record of human resource deployment optimization in a large organization.
- Master of Science (Required)
- Healthcare and/or management
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE