Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Specialty Clinical Pharmacist
Job ID: 159795
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Nov 15, 2022
Work Schedule: Full Time
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Pharmacy Department at Pennsylvania Hospital (the Nation's First Hospital) Invite you to apply for a position as a Specialty Clinical Pharmacist
- The Specialty Clinical Pharmacist is responsible for providing comprehensive patient care and dispensing services to patients prescribed specialty medications. Responsible for the management of patients being prescribed specialty medications by communicating with, educating and supporting these patients and as well as developing and coordinating patient care within the clinical care team. This individual will coordinate the activities and lead resolution of issues between Pharmacy, provider, insurance and patient for specialty medication in compliance with regulatory standards. The Specialty Clinical Pharmacist interacts with healthcare providers in the clinic, specialty technicians, prior authorization technicians and reports to the ambulatory pharmacy supervisor.
- Communicate and maintain excellent working relationships with referring physicians and their staff.
- Complete intake process by receiving referrals, screening patient demographic information, conducting benefits investigation, determining payor coverage for specialty drugs, and exploring opportunities for patient financial assistance for qualified candidates.
- Provide follow-up communication to patients and clinical practices regarding eligibility information to ensure on-going medication access.
- Dispense specialty medications by compounding, packaging and labeling, and verifying the work of technicians.
- Provide medication education, ongoing medication adherence outreach, clinical review and ongoing drug monitoring for specialty medication patients.
- Document all actions and interactions in electronic medical record in accordance with health system and accreditation body standards (ex. URAC).
- Oversee work of specialty technicians to ensure accurate and timely fulfillment.
- Cross-train to retail pharmacy; assist with staffing needs as required.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- BSPharm or PharmD
Previous Specialty Pharmacy experience or retail experience preferred
Board certification in Specialty, Ambulatory or Phamacotherapy preferred
- Completion of a PGY 1 or PGY 2 residency
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE