Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Job ID: 160129
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Nov 16, 2022
Work Schedule: Full Time M-F Days. No weekends or holidays
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Pharmacy Department at Pennsylvania Hospital (the Nation's First Hospital) Invite you to apply for a position as an Infusion Pharmacist.
Reviews physician orders and dispenses medications and pharmaceutical preparations to inpatient and ambulatory areas of the hospital. Monitors and helps manage drug therapies in order to achieve positive patient outcomes. Provides direct supervision for pharmacy technicians and students to assure accuracy of their work prior to dispensing. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Reviews computerized, written and telephone physician medication orders accurately. Reviews relevant patient information and initiates clinical interventions to ensure safe and effective pharmacotherapy.
- Demonstrates the ability to cover all areas of the pharmacy, including inpatient, outpatient (if applicable), IV admixtures, total parenteral nutrition, and chemotherapy.
- Prepares and oversees preparation of parenteral and extemporaneously prepared drug products according to established procedures and current practice standards.
- Prepares and oversees preparation of chemotherapy medications. Ensures correct dosage, compatibility and compounding calculations. Ensures proper handling and disposal of chemotherapeutic agents.
- Provides direct supervision of the workflow of pharmacy technicians and students. Ensures the accuracy of technician work prior to dispensing.
- Provides clinical pharmacy support through the participation in interdisciplinary rounds, work-groups, and meetings.
- Ensures timely and appropriate documentation of clinical interventions, recommendations, adverse events, and patient interactions.
- Counsels patients on medication therapies and food/drug interactions by consult or as part of standardized workflow.
- Effectively provides drug information to physicians, nurses, and other hospital personnel, as needed.
- Maintains awareness of current policies and departmental updates through timely monitoring of email, information boards, and other correspondence.
- Completes work assignments efficiently and effectively. Assists co-workers during busy times and periods of staff shortages. Adheres to daily work schedule with regard to deliveries and lunches.
- Uses effective interpersonal skills in all interactions. Communicates with pharmacy staff and hospital personnel to maintain continuity of patient care.
- Keeps pharmacist work areas and equipment clean, and well organized.
- Sustains the hospital formulary by minimizing non-formulary procurements, utilizing therapeutic substitution protocols.
- Participates in the quality improvement and medication use review activities of the department.Collects data; conducts quality monitors and inspections; maintains logs, records, and other documentation as assigned.
- Effectively participates in the orientation and training of new pharmacists, technicians and students.
- Adheres to all policies, procedures, laws and regulations that govern the procurement, receipt, handling, and storage of controlled substances. Completes and maintains all necessary documentation. Reports any irresolvable discrepancies to Associate Director of Pharmacy immediately.
- Demonstrates dependability through adherence to established attendance and lateness standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned timely and effectively.
- Pharmacist PA license (Required)
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Pharmacy or PharmD degree from an ACPE-accredited school of pharmacy, or equivalent (Required)
- Completion of a PGY-1 or PGY-2 Pharmacy practice residency
- Prior hospital pharmacy experience
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE