Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Certified Nurse Midwife - General Ob/Gyn (3701 Market St Location)
Job ID: 161993
Category: Nurse Midwife
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Nov 18, 2022
Work Schedule: Day Shift
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- All midwives function under the guidelines designated by Penn Medicine medical staff guidelines and are credentialed through that body. The CNM is held accountable through a formal job description, through delineations of privileges and through their agreement with their collaborating physicians who have initiated a Collaborative Practice Agreement. All clinical work hours and associated requirements will be defined and managed under the direction of the collaborating physician/division designee, and within Human Resource guideline.
- The primary role is to function as a full-scope Midwife providing independent and/or collaborative care within the department in accordance with its mission. The care will extend to uncomplicated gynecological and obstetric patients, as well as obstetrical patients and their newborns during the antepartum, intrapartum and postpartum periods in the hospital and or outpatient setting. The Midwife will also participate in teaching medical and midwifery students and junior residents the management of normal labor and delivery, and provide feedback regarding their performance. The CNM will project a positive image of Penn Medicine through excellent communication, teamwork, teaching and patient care skills, to support patients/families, facility personnel and Penn Medicine processes to ensure coordinated, efficient, and safe/quality care while providing an excellent experience.
- Provides direct clinical care for patient population according to established protocols and utilizes evidence based practice standards in collaboration with team.
- Maintains accurate and confidential medical records. Documents all medical evaluations, diagnoses, procedures, treatments, outcomes, education, referrals, and consultations consistent with organizational standards in the electronic health record (EHR).
- Identifies self properly to the patient and family, and clarifies the role of the nurse midwife if necessary.
- The nurse midwife should function within their scope and refer to the collaborating physician when outside of scope, and/or directed by the collaborating physician or when requested by the patient and/or family.
- Performs interventions specific to assigned patient population and collaborative agreement.
- Participates in the performance improvement processes to meet quality of care and service standards.
- Demonstrates awareness of professional responsibility as role model to peers and members of the health care team.
- Perform approved therapeutic or diagnostic procedures based upon patient’s clinical status.
- Addresses patient and family concerns and creates a therapeutic relationship to provide support.
- Provide patient education, counseling and instruction regarding patient diagnosis, medical treatments, medications, and preventative care.
- Participate in and support accreditation, compliance and regulatory activities of the organization.
- Precept CNM students and other health care learners.
- Identifies patient/family needs for community resources and refers appropriately.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- American Midwifery Cert Board (Required)
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- Cert RN Midwife (Required)
- Prescriptive Authority (Required)
- Registered Nurse - PA (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Master of Arts or Science (Required)
- and/or Doctor of Nursing Practice/Nursing
> 2.5 years of experience, The CNM must be reviewed by the Credentials Committee and approved by the Medical Board
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE