Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Senior Technical Consultant Emergency Department
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St.
The Department of Emergency Medicine (ED) provides its department, hospitals and system leadership with the data, analysis, and insight necessary to ensure informed decision-making on key strategic issues. The ED Senior Technical Consultant will provide technical leadership to ED and data teams across the organization. He/she will demonstrate mastery over data tools, concepts and processes. He/she will be an expert in navigating the EMR (Epic or other) data space primarily from a Finance/Quality/Operations perspective. The Senior Technical Consultant will oversee data routines and establish sound data standard operating procedures. This position will oversee (direct and/or in-direct) the work of junior data analysts. The Senior Consultant will play a strong role in ensuring data is governed well and lead metric development efforts across the enterprise.
- Primary data analysis contact for an entity or a specific organization structure (e.g., service lines).
- Manage internal and external data vendors as requested and hold them accountable for deliverables.
- Optimize work processes and automate tasks.
- Set up standard operating procedures for data teams.
Subject Matter Expertise:
- Demonstrate mastery over one or more Epic data modules. Be the “go-to” resource for the analyst community. Maintain or obtain Epic Clarity certification.
- Demonstrate mastery and control over data mart load processes and ensure high availability of accurate data to end users.
- Must be an expert in SQL query authoring. Mentor other team members on this skillset.
- Provide technical consulting support to other data teams within the organization.
- Oversee (direct or in-direct) work output of data analysts and consultants.
- Help recruit, train and coach new hires and set them up for success.
- Manage up expectations and escalate concerns in a prompt manner.
- Track tasks and requests and ensure timely completion of activities.
- Must participate actively in enterprise data governance initiatives (finance, quality and/or operations).
- Must promote adoption of standard data definitions and usage across analyst teams.
- Help data domains debate data definitions and move towards a common definition.
Problem Framing and Decision Quality:
- Help business users frame poorly articulated needs into robust data deliverables keeping in mind data governance work.
- Strive for high decision quality by thinking ahead and informing stakeholders for success.
- Collaborate effectively with Information Services and other data teams in the organizations.
- Ensure high availability of data systems such as Tableau.
- Work toward problem resolution breaking down barriers between teams.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Business Administration or Health Information Management required.
- 6+ years experience in the health care industry in some combination of the following: physician practice operations, clinical analytics, health plan, multi-facility health system, or accountable care organization (ACO) settings required.
- Prior work experience with EMR data required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong quantitative and analytical abilities; strong project management skills required.
- Intermediate to expert level SQL query writing experience required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data structures and relationships used in reporting historical trends, current opportunities/problems, and future direction required.
- Communicates effectively with all levels of staff to exchange information, ideas, and respond to inquiries required.
- Demonstrated interpersonal/verbal communication skills required.
- Understanding of health care operations required.
- Ability to utilize critical thinking required.
- Ability to work as part of a team; multi-task required.
- Able to deliver clear and concise presentations to varied audiences required.
- Must be attentive to detail required.
- Skilled in the use of statistical/data management software packages preferred.
- Experience working with multiple technical platforms preferred.
- Recognizes and works effectively in complex, political and ambiguous situations preferred.
- Demonstrated successful relationship building all levels of staff, physicians and executives preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.