Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Patient Services Associate
Job ID: 161949
Work Type: FT
Location: Radnor, PA, United States
Date Posted: Nov 23, 2022
Work Schedule: Variable
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Department: Penn Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine Radnor
$2,000 sign-on bonus available for external hires
- The Patient Services Associate (PSA) assists the practice/department in maintaining a patient/customer focus, supports the delivery of high quality care, shares a passion for patient and customer-centered care, and assists in meeting or exceeding patient satisfaction and financial/operational targets.
- The PSA is responsible for the arrival and/or departure activities of patients in the practice, managing and handling patient calls and inquiries, coordinating patient appointments, updating patient insurance/billing information, and performing point of service activities.
- The PSA may function in a physician practice or a call center environment. Rotation between PSA functions and/or departments may be required.
- Strives to create and maintain a culture of safety and service excellence through the following accountabilities:
- Greets and interacts with patients in a pleasant and professional manner, on phone or in person.
- Listens carefully and communicates clearly with patients to ensure understanding of patient’s request. Analyzes problems from the customer’s point of view.
- Learns/anticipates the individual patient/customer needs and does the best possible job of satisfying those needs using the best solutions. Documents needs, as appropriate, in EPIC.
- Establishes positive relationships with patients by demonstrating knowledge of patient history, compassion and responding to individual needs.
- Handles stressful patient/customer situations appropriately and delivers seamless patient/customer service.
- Ensure patient/family confidentiality, safety and security.
- Identifies opportunities to improve the patient experience, including areas identified in patient satisfaction surveys.
- Ensures communication and collaboration with clinical staff and fellow co-workers to serve patients to the best of his/her ability.
- Shows initiative, sets priorities, organizes tasks, and works independently and as part of a team while completing daily tasks.
- Participates in Entity and Department wide initiatives for
- Patient /Employee safety
- Demonstrates an awareness of patient/ employee safety when carrying out daily responsibilities of their position.
- Takes accountability for ensuring patient/work areas are neat and clean.
- Orders supplies, as requested, for practice/department.
- As per practice/department protocols and/or measurements: answer phones/retrive voicemails in a timely manner, manage/handle patient requests and route appropriately, take thorough messages and route appropriately through EPIC.
- Schedule patient appointments (on phone or in person) accurately and completely:
- Utilizes knowledge of schedules and protocols
- Uses proper billing area/appointment location
- Cancels/reschedules appointments as needed and changes appointment status in EPIC
- Communicates changes to patient and confirms appointments.
- If scheduling patients via telephone, remind patient what to bring to appointment (insurance card, test results, referrals, etc.). Encourages patients, as appropriate, to sign up for My Penn Medicine.
- Responsible for arriving/departing activities of patient at practice and performs point of service activities
- Obtains insurance cards, copays, signatures/forms, referrals/authorizations as required and updates EPIC accordingly
- Finalizes all check-out procedures as per practice protocol
- Communicates with patients regarding patient flow and wait times – keeps manager aware of potential issues as they arise.
- Issues referrals and obtains pre-authorizations for patients as required
- Successfully navigate and resolve EPIC work queues – escalate as needed
- Perform other duties as requested or assigned.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of insurance requirements pertinent to patient service and billing procedures: including basic knowledge of all managed care plans UPHS participates with and which insurers require a copayment or referral.
- Achieves proficiency in automated systems; such as EPIC APM and EMR (including inbasket), hospital based EMRs (where necessary), Navinet, credit card machines, IPayment, etc.
- Validates patient demographic/insurance information and/or registers new patients into EPIC using established protocols
- Validates financial responsibility prior to service utilization and completes an accurate financial interview at time of registration
- Records receipts according to practice protocol so as to ensure appropriate end of day reconciliation. Participates in cash reconciliation delineations.
- Generates/runs reports, as requested, related to front-end processes
- Resolve work queues and/or issues from front-end reports which may include the patient pre & post visit, charge review, and others as requested. Proactively prioritizes recovery of missing charges.
- Complies with educational and training requirements at prescribed intervals (via Knowledge Link and/or other methods as required).
- Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulatory standards (ex TJC, DOH, FDA, HIPAA, HCFA, DPW, LCGME, SCGME, etc)
- Flexible and readily adopts new processes and is engaged in practice operation changes.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required) AND 2+ years medical office experience or 4 years of customer service experience.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE