Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Associate Director, News
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 160826
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Nov 28, 2022
Work Schedule: 8:30AM-5:00PM, M-F | Hybrid
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Assistant/Associate Director, News serves as the senior press officer in the Department of Communications, with primary responsibility for conceptualizing and managing projects and campaigns to promote marquee institutional initiatives and devising strategies for fresh communications synergies for key efforts across all domains of our organizational mission, including clinical care, research, education, and community service. In addition, under the guidance of the Senior News Director, the Assistant/Associate Director manages the department's News Blog, including planning and conceptualizing posts with department staff, editing posts, maintaining the blog's schedule, and planning campaigns and cross-promotion of content via other communications vehicles. Additionally, they will conceptualize and serve as day-to-day manager of Penn Medicine's media highlight newsletter. The Assistant Director will also provide strategic guidance on media issues to the Senior News Director, AVP for Communications, and junior staff.
- Assistant/Associate Director, News Accountabilities:
- Maintains consistent contact with key institutional stakeholders
- Secures steady flow of media placements of Penn Medicine faculty and research in the news media for assigned departments/internal clients
- Promotes relationships with key internal clients, including creating and delivering presentations to departmental faculty meetings and other appropriate forums to promote the Communications team’s work
- Devises communications strategies and disseminates appropriate clinical, programmatic, and/or institutional news, as assigned
- Cultivates and maintains strong relationships with members of the media to identify areas of interest and opportunities for Penn Medicine coverage
- Conceptualizes and collaborates to develop compelling social media content to support institution priorities and news events
- Management/Strategic Accountabilities:
- Serves as lead press officer for cross-cutting projects spanning multiple beat areas
- Acts as a link between press officers and regional communications teams when handling matters with systemwide impact in the news media
- Manages Penn Medicine’s media highlight newsletter, including efforts to streamline and improve the user experience
- Assists in the planning and implementation of departmental process for digital and traditional media
- Develops and edits compelling and timely content for the Penn Medicine News Blog, including development of campaigns and long-term series reflecting all parts of Penn Medicine
- Manages special departmental projects and serves as a key leader of communications plans for marquee institutional initiatives
- Provides strategic guidance regarding media communications to the Senior News Director and AVP for Communications, as well as serving as a key cross-departmental collaborator with internal communications and publications teams
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- 6+ years of experience in public relations/communications, including at least 2 years of health care and/or science experience (Required).
- Demonstrated success placing stories in national and regional media (or writing/editing stories for those news outlets as a journalist) (Required).
- Experience working with health care advocacy and professional associations (Required).
- Experience managing vendors, including contracted writers, media monitoring, metrics and reporter database services (Required).
- Experience with digital media - social media, video, infographics (Required).
- Experience writing and editing medical and scientific writing (Required).
Skills & Abilities:
- Flexibility and adaptability in dynamic environment
- Solid understanding of social media channels and their appropriate uses
- Maintain an understanding of trends in medicine and scientific research in order to make appropriate recommendations regarding both proactive and reactive communication strategies
- Strong track record of managing people, projects and processes
- Ability to translate technical information into language accessible by media and the lay public
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles and practice of biomedical research
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE