This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 159646
Category: Nurse Practitioner/ Physician Assistant
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Nov 29, 2022
Work Schedule: Day Shift
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
The Division of Urology is looking for a Surgical Oncology Physician Assistant to work full time, assisting in OR and independently seeing patients in the outpatient clinic setting with a focus on critical urologic cancer screenings, cancer surveillance, and postoperative evaluations.
The Urology PA clinic role would encompass up to 2 days in the OR and 2-3 clinic days at the Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine located on the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania’s Campus
The division of urology consists of a team consisting of 18 physicians, 10 NPs/PAs
The goals of the role include the following:
• New cancer diagnoses--- prostate, bladder, kidney
– Elevated PSA
– Gross Hematuria
• Convenient access to patients’ post-cancer treatment
• Post prostatectomy, nephrectomy, PSA checks, and surveillance
4. Surgical assisting
· All Physician Assistants function under the guidelines as designed by the Penn Medicine medical staff and are credentialed through that body. The Physician Assistant will be held accountable through a formal job description, delineation of privileges, and through a Written Practice Agreement with their supervising physician. All clinical work hours and associated requirements will be defined and managed under the direction of the supervising physician and within the Human Resource guidelines. Provides direct clinical care for patient population according to established protocols and utilizes evidence based practice standards in collaboration with team.
· The Physician Assistant will contribute to excellence in education, leadership, professionalism, and clinical practice.
· Provides direct clinical care for the patient population according to established protocols and utilizes evidence-based practice standards in collaboration with the team.
· Maintains accurate and confidential medical records. Documents all medical evaluations, diagnoses, procedures, treatment, outcomes, education, referrals, and consultations consistent with organizational standards in electronic medical records.
· Identifies self properly to the patient and family and clarifies the role of Physician Assistant if necessary.
· The Physician Assistant shall function within their scope and refer to the supervising physician when outside of scope, and/or directed by the supervising physician, or when requested by the patient.
· Performs interventions specific to assigned patient population and written agreement.
· Participates in the performance improvement processes to meet the quality of care and service standards.
· Demonstrates awareness of professional responsibility as a role model to peers and members of the health care team.
· Perform approved therapeutic or diagnostic procedures based on patient’s clinical status.
· Addresses patient and family concerns and creates a therapeutic relationship to provide support.
· Provide patient education, counseling, and instruction regarding patient diagnosis, medical treatments, medications, and preventive care.
· Participates in and supports accreditation, compliance, and regulatory activities of the organization.
· Participated in preceptorship of PA/NP students and other healthcare learners.
· Identifies patient/family needs for community resources and refers them appropriately.
· National Commission for Certification of Physician Assistant (Required)
· Physician Assistant Board Certification (Required)
· Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
· Advanced Cardiac Life Support for providers in the acute setting
Education or Equivalent Experience:
· Master of Science (Required)
· Master’s degree required except for current employees grandfathered prior to implementation of PAaCE. The Physician Assistant must be reviewed by the Credentials Committee and approved by the medical board. Graduate of Accredited Physician Assistant Training Program
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.