Penn Medicine Princeton Health in Plainsboro, NJ has a Per Diem opportunity for a Social Worker to join the Care Coordination team.
In this role you will perform activities to meet patient’s and families’ needs in a manner that optimizes the discharge planning process and facilitates post-hospital
continuity of care. Provides counseling, education and support interventions that enhance patient’s and families’ ability to cope with physical,
emotional and environmental problems.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
1. Assesses patient’s and family’s psychosocial risk factors through evaluation of prior functioning levels, appropriateness and adequacy of
support systems, reaction to illness and ability to cope.
2. Intervenes with patients and families regarding emotional, social, and financial consequences of illness and/or disability; advocates for patient
and family empowerment and independence to make autonomous health care decisions; accesses and mobilizes family/community resources
to meet identified needs.
3. Provides intervention in child abuse/neglect, domestic violence, guardianship (temporary/ permanent), foster care, adoption, mental health
placement, advance directives, adult/elderly abuse, child protection and sexual assault.
4. Serves as a resource person and provides counseling and intervention related to treatment decisions and end-of-life issues.
5. Participates in discharge planning activities for complex patients, in order to ensure a timely discharge and to provide appropriate linkage with
post-discharge care providers.
6. Intervenes with families exhibiting complex family dynamics that impact directly on patient care and discharge.
7. Communicates with members of interdisciplinary team regarding the discharge planning status of assigned caseload.
8. Educates patient/family and physician regarding post-acute options and addresses issues of choice.
9. Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education, skills competency,
supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor, and resource to less
10. Documents social work interventions and relevant discharge planning information in the medical record according to Department standards.
OTHER JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
1. Demonstrates knowledge of issues that pertain to addiction, illness/disability, domestic abuse, coping, care-giving,
bereavement and other psychosocial pertinent issues that impact on patients and families across all age-groups.
2. Develops and maintain contacts with community agencies to gather information on available resources and share information with peers on an
3. Remains current in government and community service programs, such as, Medicare, Medicaid, PAAD, JC AHO, DOH and other pertinent
standards and regulations on ongoing basis.
4. Performs financial assessments and assists patients’/families’ in providing resources for entitlements, programs, etc.
that address patients’/families’ needs.
5. Collaborates with patients/families, community agencies and health care team members on an on going basis and provides update information.
6. Supervises Social Work students from affiliated universities, upon request.
7. Adheres to NASW standards and ethics at all times.
Masters of Social Work from graduate school of social work approved by the Council on Social Work
Related Work Experience:
Preferred 1 year hospital social work or related health care experience.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:
- State of New Jersey Social Work License required.
- National Case Management certification preferred.