Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Service Information Officer
Job ID: 149439
Category: Information Services/Technology/Service Desk/Telecom
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Dec 5, 2022
Work Schedule: WILL REQUIRE full or partial on site work
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Service Information Officer (SIO) is responsible for providing project direction over all information systems activities for the assigned area of the School of Medicine (SOM). The individual will work with representatives of Penn Medicine Information Services, third party collaborators, research and vendor partners to coordinate the delivery of information services solutions to the assigned area within the School of Medicine. The role will also involve leading the development of Corporate Information Services / technology planning activities to support consistent utilization of technology and business processes across the program area. A key area for the role is to act as the bridge between the research programs and Penn Medicine Information Services ensuring the program's technology needs and resources are addressed in coordination with the enterprise. This includes database development, third party application support, data integration/interoperability, security/privacy and compliance with applicable regulations.
- Develops organization technology and informatics strategies with the support of end users and senior management that leverage technology capabilities.
- Works closely with assigned areas and Health System leadership to ensure both the entity and health system goals / objectives receive the proper Information Services support.
- Areas of responsibilities include all aspects of end-user support, as well as an understanding of specialized software and security assessments.
- Works with research teams to understand and solution complex problems and delivery issues. Serves as at one point of contact for research staff in problem resolution. Is acutely aware of time to delivery and removes obstacles threatening completion. Interacts closely with leadership and key project stakeholders with exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Communicates critical information to internal and external stakeholders. Facilitates the development and delivery of tactical and achievable mitigation and contingency planning to resolve issues collaboratively across a matrixed environment.
- Proactively develops change management strategy for major organizational activities and events.
- Works collaboratively with selected vendors to procure, implement and utilize identified technologies and informatics solutions.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree is required (Master’s Degree is preferred)
- 5+ years of progressive leadership or program management experience in a complex healthcare provider or healthcare research environment required.
- 7+ Experience in the development of institutional infrastructure for bioinformatics services, and linking bioinformatics to the clinical systems with a focus on data intensive analysis (genetic, sequencing, profiling etc.) serving basic, clinical and translational studies.
- Experience with database development
- Knowledge of how health and research information systems are handled, e.g. experience in issues pertaining to the protection of human data and quality control of such data and issues of data security (including familiarity with regulations, e.g. HIPAA, and certification, FISMA)
Required Skills and Abilities
- Ability to manage concurrent projects while meeting project deadlines
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Ability to communicate technical information and ideas
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Ability to work effectively with a range of business, clinical, and academic leaders
- Demonstrated interpersonal/verbal communication skills
As part of our COVID-19 response, this position may currently be offering partial or full remote work. However, in the near future this position will require full or partial on-site work.
Be a part of the exciting and ground-breaking upcoming years for the Penn Medicine Information Services department!
Because growth is essential to continuing to meet the current and future needs of patients, Penn Medicine continues to expand its capabilities.
Penn Medicine's Information Services (IS) Department focuses its efforts on the clinical and financial systems that support the day-to-day operations of four hospitals, several satellite practices, and more than 2,000 physicians.
Learn more about Information Services
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE