Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
We are excited to announce that we are taking applications for our Summer 2023 Nurse Extern Program at Pennsylvania Hospital! You must be in your junior to senior year of an accredited BSN prepared nursing program to participate.
We have a wide range of opportunities available across the hospital in the following practice areas:
- Women's Health
- Med Surg
- The nurse extern is a participant in an 8-week summer program for nursing students. The nurse extern program is designed to provide the nursing student with an opportunity to strengthen and reinforce their knowledge and skill in the practice of nursing under direct supervision of a registered nurse preceptor to ease their transition to practice. The nurse extern will follow their preceptor's work schedule and will assist in the provision of nursing care for that nurse's patients. Additionally, nurse extern will attend 5 didactic educational sessions during their rotation.
- Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI): The nurse extern demonstrates awareness of the use of data and QI methods to identify potential and actual problems and opportunities to provide care that is safe, timely, efficient, effective, and equitable.
- Evidence Based Practice and Research: The nurse extern evaluates and integrates best current evidence with preceptor clinical expertise and patient and family preferences and values for the delivery of optimal health care and system effectiveness.
- Leadership: The nurse extern observes collaboration and the application of innovative, systems thinking used to engage in systematic, evidence-based problem solving and decision making to promote effective changes within a complex care delivery system supporting the vision of Penn Medicine
- Person and Family Centered Care: The nurse extern recognizes the patient (or the patient’s designee) as the source of control and a full partner in providing compassionate and coordinated care based on respect for the patient’s preferences, values, and needs.
- Professionalism: The nurse extern demonstrates a commitment to the nursing profession through lifelong learning and adherence to American Nurses Association (ANA) Code of Ethics for Nurses.
- Safety: The nurse extern minimizes risk of harm to patients, families, providers and self through system effectiveness and individual performance.
- Teamwork: The nurse extern effectively engages in the process of cooperation, coordination, and collaboration in an effort to provide for safe, quality outcomes for patients within inter and intra-professional teams, including virtual teams.
- Technology/Informatics: The nurse extern utilizes appropriate information and technology to communicate, manage knowledge, mitigate error, and support decision making across the continuum.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- High School Diploma (Required)
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Enrolled)
- -Completion of 1 med/surgical clinical rotations and are entering their final year of their nursing program.
-Maintain a GPA of at least 3.0
Hours of Work:
We have 36-hour opportunities available. The nurse extern follows the RN preceptor’s schedule, or their designee and educational sessions are scheduled as part of their workweek. The nurse extern is expected to attend the educational offerings.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.