Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Behavioral Safety Assistant
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 165015
Category: Clinical Support
Work Type: PT 20+ HOURS
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Date Posted: Dec 15, 2022
Work Schedule: 7:00am-7:30pm
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- A member of the nursing team who provides continuous observation and surveillance of assigned patients. Observation and surveillance may be at the bedside or remotely via the iObserver software. This includes: patients at risk for harm to self or others or patients with compromised judgment.
- Provide continuous observation or 1:1 observation and supervision to patients based upon eligibility criteria. Stays at the patient’s bedside and keeps the patient in their direct line of vision at all times. Personal activities such as reading, studying, crafts, and using personal social media devices (i.e. tablets, cell phones) are not permitted while on duty supervising patients.
- Document patient behaviors and interventions in the Electronic Medical Record or Paper Documentation as appropriate.
- Communicates with patient using interventions to decrease agitation/confusion. This includes the use of optimal stimulation based upon individual patient needs. De-escalates agitated or aggressive patients/family.
- Maintains safety measures for fall and ligature risk patients.
- Ambulates with independent patients.
- Provide divisional activities when appropriate.
- Assist with basic toileting, such as providing urinal and placing bedpan under patients when needed.
- For patients who are independently ambulatory, the BSS should ambulate to the bathroom; with patients and remain present keeping patient in line of sight at all times until patient is returned back to bed.
- Assists patients with Activities of Daily Living and Performs AM care/ PM care as instructed. AM/PM care includes but is not limited to complete/partial and set up bath, mouth/ denture care, hair grooming, facial shave.
- Assist with basic meal tray set-up; and assist with feeding patients excluding patients who are on Swallowing Precautions. These tasks include: assisting with menu selections for patients; prepares meal tray and patient for meal time; communicate intake on all patients as indicated.
- Observes or monitors behavior/health state and reports observations to the care team.
- Reports skin breakdown
- Maintains a safe environment and protects the patient from injury by observing for potential aggression, self-harm, falls, confusion, disorientation, wandering or elopement according to patient’s orders. Documents per observation policy.
- Monitors patient restraints in a manner that protects the safety of patients and others.
- Performs safe patient transfers utilizing proper ergonomics and safe patient handling equipment. Transfers include bed to chair, bed to wheelchair, bed to stretcher.
- Accompanies patients while traveling through the hospital.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
- Participates in hand-off of pertinent information/behavior about assigned patients when arriving on the unit and completion of shift, and hand off during breaks. Arranges meal break times with nurse and informs nurse prior to leaving patient bedside for any reason so that relief may be provided to ensure constant patient observation.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- Training provided if certification not held at time of hire.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 1+ years Previous training and/or experience in a patient care environment preferred such as medical, behavioral health or clinical assistant or health technician, or patient safety assistant.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE