Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
GI Technician @ Hospital of University of Pennsylvania
Job ID: 164353
Category: Clinical Support
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Dec 15, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Responsible for assisting physician in performing endoscopic procedures under the direction of a physician/registered nurse, reprocessing of endoscopic instruments and performing clerical/receptionist functions as needed.
- Displays skill and treatments specific to clinical area as identified in unit specific skills checklist.
- Carries out clerical duties (i.e., Ordering of supplies, appropriate routing of laboratory specimens, Patient log and transport arrangements).
- Keeps Endoworks documentation system up to date during shift.
- Understands and utilizes Epic/Navicare schedule.
- Patient log documentation.
- Notifies appropriate physicians and departments concerning admissions, transfers, and discharges in Endoscopy as needed.
- Functions as receptionist in answering telephones and greeting patients, families, and members of the health team.
- Assists in directing flow of traffic on the unit.
- Completes daily unit assignment within appropriate time frame.
- Demonstrates quality-nursing care based on standards and policies and procedures as evidenced through performance improvement monitoring tools (e.g., chart audits, performance improvement, occurrence reports, patient rounds, and observation).
- Demonstrates knowledge of unit based performance improvement studies as evidenced by ability to define purpose of unit based performance improvement program and identify unit indicators
- Documents accurately in accordance with standards established at Penn Medicine.
- Practices in accordance with the Patient's Bill of Rights.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skill necessary to provide care/service, based on physical, psychosocial, education, safety, and related criteria appropriate to the age of the patients/customers served in assigned area.
- Provides individualized, planned, and appropriate care/service in settings that support the patients/customer's care, treatment, rehabilitation goals, and/or specific need.
- Participates in and supports departmental and organizational efforts to design, measure, assess, and improve its performance.
- Actions demonstrate an understanding of individual's role and how it relates to the delivery of care/service in the organization.
- Actions demonstrate an understanding of appropriate safety and infection control techniques and hospital policy.
- Carries out unit-specific duties and other duties as directed by nurse manager.
- Practices principals of delegation.
- Facilitates and demonstrates teambuilding.
- Communicates effectively.
- Maintains cleanliness of work area.
- Notifies charge nurse when leaving the unit.
- Assists with the orientation of personnel to equipment function, cleaning disinfection, stocking of rooms and carts, and assistance during procedures.
- Utilizes supplies and equipment in a cost-effective manner.
- Orders supplies appropriately to meet the need of the unit.
- Maintains purchase order and requisition file.
- Keeps up-to-date with advances in Navicare & Endoworks.
- Acts as a Navicare & Endoworks resource for other staff members.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Previous hospital experience as an OR technician, nursing assistant, or comparable
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE