Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Echo Lab Technologist @Penn Presbyterian
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 163410
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Day
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- This person will be responsible for performing highly skilled, specialized non-invasive tests used to diagnose cardiological abnormalities and conduct M-Mode, 2-D, Doppler echocardiogram and color flow Doppler studies in the inpatient/outpatient laboratories, patient rooms, intensive care unites, ER and OR, without physician supervision. You will work with physicians and notify attending of EKG changes, or Doppler/echo findings requiring immediate action. Also, assists physicians with transesophageal echocardiograms performed under conscious sedation in the laboratory and in the OR, and perform exercise stress and pharmacologic stress echocardiograms.
- Performs highly skilled, specialized non-invasive tests used to diagnose cardiological abnormalities and participates in research activities using sophisticated mechanical and electronic instruments and microcomputers.
- Helps arrange schedule for patient echocardiography studies; prioritizes requests for studies by reviewing orders and securing additional information from referring physicians when necessary.
- Conducts M-Mode, 2-D, Doppler echocardiogram and color flow Doppler studies in the inpatient/outpatient laboratories, patient rooms, intensive care unites, ER and OR, without physician supervision. Determines appropriate views; modified studies according to cardiac abnormalities detected; conducts primary readings; notifies attending physicians of EKG changes, or Doppler/echo findings requiring immediate action. Assists physicians with transesophageal echocardiograms performed under conscious sedation in the laboratory and in the OR. Performs exercise stress and pharmacologic stress echocardiograms.
- Provides coverage for Nuclear Cardiology Stress Testing as needed. Explains nature of test to patients and interviews patients for medical history. Prepares patients for tests, establishes IV and performs baseline EKG. Reviews tracing and note changes in heart rate and blood pressure during the test. Takes blood pressure each minute during the test and during recovery.
- Coordinates daily operation of the echo laboratory to ensure studies performed with optimal quality. Must constantly adjust to the needs of the non-invasive cardiology department and go where needed as directed by the manager of non-invasive cardiology. Maintains daily log o all patients and assists managers with preparation of monthly statistics.
- Edits and copies videotapes; maintains files on tests performed; creates teaching tapes.
- Responsible for marking all M-Mode echocardiography measurements on the worksheet as well as completely and accurately completing the demographic information on each patient. Must log each patient examined in lab logbooks. Must update orders as needed if patient studies are changed or cancelled.
- Performs minor maintenance on instruments; sterilizes and stores equipment. Performs daily assessment of Metricide sterilizing solution.
- Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (Required)
- Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS) or Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS) required.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE