Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Medical Laboratory Scientist- Microbiology- Full time nights- $7500 Sign on- Pennsylvania Hospital
Job ID: 165830
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Dec 27, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Performs waived, moderate and/or high-complexity tests and procedures in clinical laboratory sections under the direction of the Supervisor.
- Performs appropriately requested clinical laboratory analyses on all types of laboratory specimens, produces and documents accurate laboratory results for diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- May be required to perform phlebotomy for diagnostic testing on patients of all age groups.
- Applies knowledge and skills to perform accurately, all routine and complex laboratory procedures for which competency has been established and authorization to perform testing has been granted. Follows all lab pre-analytical, analytical and post-analytical procedures covering specimen, analytical test system and result reporting requirements.
- Monitors, performs, and documents all Quality Control, maintenance and calibration procedures according to established protocols and accreditation agency standards. Identifies issues/factors that adversely affect test performance. Provides technical support to staff, physicians, and personnel to resolve any issues related to laboratory testing.
- Starts up, shuts down, and performs maintenance of lab equipment and instruments. Takes appropriate corrective action according to established procedures, when test system performance deviates from acceptable level. Documents all corrective actions taken including calling technical support. Immediately notifies Supervisor and/or Director if unable to resolve test system issue. Ensures test results are not reported until all corrective action has been taken and test system is performing within specifications.
- Participates in Proficiency Testing and ensures proficiency testing is performed in the same manner as patient specimens. Maintains compliance with Proficiency Testing policies. As directed by the Supervisor, maintains and updates laboratory policies, procedure manuals and specified documents required for review by regulatory agencies. Ensures that all employees are kept up to date with these changes.
- Assists the supervisor in specified activities that ensure laboratory compliance with all accreditation agencies. Compliance with Competency accreditation guidelines is a staff responsibility that must be completed annually. May function as the General Supervisor for selected duties when required.
- Demonstrates initiative in continually improving personal knowledge, skills, and work experience; and in improving departmental functioning.
- Works well with Supervisors and those in authority; works at establishing a good rapport and cooperative working relationship with all members of the laboratory; maintains a positive rapport with medical staff and hospital personnel. Responsible for maintaining adequate staffing on all shifts, weekends and holidays.
- As directed by the Supervisor, coordinates the training of new employees and teach students. Performs method validations, linearity, and parallel studies on all laboratory instruments as assigned. Investigates laboratory incident reports and documents the findings as per UPHS procedures.
- Maintains a clean, orderly and safe work area. Complies with Hospital, Laboratory, Safety and HIPPA regulations; notifies Supervisor when hazards are found, completes mandatory in-services on, or before the due date. Maintains inventory of supplies needed to keep the section in working order. Provides Supervisor with adequate notification when supplies need to be replenished. Participates in PI activities including preparation of various CEQI reports for the area. Displays willingness to adapt to changing department demands.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- in MLS or other biological or chemical science or U.S. equivalent (substantiated by foreign credential evaluation statement)
Broad knowledge of various laboratory methods and techniques, quality assurance, in addition to PC and LIS knowledge
Current MLS Certification by a minimum knowledge based exam such as the Board of Certification (ASCP) or equivalent required or 5 years of experience as a Medical Laboratory Scientist I
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE