Job ID: 164670
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jan 3, 2023
Work Schedule: Day Shift Hours
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) is looking for a Blood Bank Medical Lab Assistant IV to join the Blood Bank!
Answers Telephone, receives samples, prepares blood components for transfusion, dispenses blood products, performs irradiation of blood products, performs confirmatory testing of red blood cells, and prepares aliquots of red cells for neonatal transfusion, manages inventory of blood products.
• Answers telephones, promptly and courteously; takes requests for blood products received and accurately records the same, provides accurate patient information regarding test results and blood product availability. Correctly prioritizes requests for blood products received and keeps technical staff informed accordingly. Correctly assess acceptability of specimens and requisitions received for testing; notifies the appropriate party when samples are found to be unacceptable for testing and documents action according to Blood Bank procedure.
• Rotates stock of perishable supplies to effect optimum utilization. Promptly alerts supervisory personnel of short supplies. Accurately selects filters and labels blood for transfusion to neonates, maintains accurate manual and computer records for modification and disposition.
• Properly assesses appropriate blood products for patient use, based on blood group compatibility, Blood Bank protocols, and patient’s special transfusion requirements to ensure patient safety. Selects, thaws, accurately labels and dispenses Frozen Plasma and cryoprecipitate; maintains accurate manual and computer records for modification and disposition.
• Correctly selects appropriate platelet products (HLA-matched, CMV Negative and/or irradiated); accurately labels and dispenses same and maintains accurate manual and computer records for modification and disposition. Issues Rh Immune Globulin for patient use. Prepares blood components for organ transplants per protocol. Properly performs issue of blood products for patient use, ensuring compliance with all applicable SOPs and regulatory agency requirements.
• Takes receipt of blood products delivered from outside sources. Inspects blood products received from outside sources for acceptability, verifies receipt and correct documentation by receiving and signing accompanying documentation. Performs inventory entry of blood products received from outside sources, and quarantines products as required, until acceptability or testing can be completed.
• Performs ABO/Rh confirmation testing of all red cell products coming into inventory, demonstrates proper grading and documentation of serologic reactions. Performs irradiation of blood of blood products, when appropriate in accordance with prescribed procedure; maintains accurate records, both manual and computerized for modification.
• Blood Inventory Management Daily, maintains accurate status of reserved blood products: Returns to inventory products reserved for OR, when appropriate; Returns to inventory blood with expired compatibility status; Releases from reservation and dispose of expired blood products; Updates manual and computer records to reflect status of products above; Performs other duties as assigned: willingness to adapt to changing department demands; Responsible for maintaining adequate staffing on all three shifts, weekends and holidays.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Education or Equivalent Experience:
• High School Diploma/GED
• Some experience in blood banking
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.