Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Clinical Nurse 1 - Inpatient - Labor & Delivery Unit - Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Job ID: 167154
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jan 9, 2023
Work Schedule: Rotating Schedule (7AM - 7PM / 7PM - 7AM)
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) is looking for a Clinical Nurse 1 (Rotating Schedule: 7AM - 7PM / 7PM - 7AM & Weekend Requirement) to join the Labor & Delivery Unit!
Labor & Delivery is one of four units in the Women’s Health department at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP). It consists of a 10-bed triage unit known as the Perinatal Evaluation Center (PEC) and a Labor & Delivery Unit with 13 LDRs (Labor, Delivery & Recovery rooms), 3 ORs and a 2 bed PACU. We proudly serve the West Philadelphia community and surrounding suburbs. We work as a team to deliver approximately 4200 babies annually. Patients on the unit undergo vaginal deliveries, cesarean sections, cerclage placement, Bilateral Tubal Ligations, D&E & D&C. We are a Baby Friendly and Magnet designated institution with a robust shared governance structure. The clinical nurses use both basic and advanced skills to provide high quality, patient centered care for women and their families to help make their childbirth experience the best it can be. It is a challenging and rewarding place to work that offers many personal and professional opportunities.
- The Clinical Nurse 1 New to Practice/Apprentice is a newly licensed new-to-practice RN or RN with less than 15 months of experience that demonstrates basic safe practice within the organizational professional practice model. The Clinical Nurse 1 New to Practice/Apprentice seeks guidance to integrate concepts, knowledge, skills and attitudes to meet standards for competent professional nursing practice as specified in the Clinical Nurse I New to Practice/Apprentice position description addendum. The Clinical Nurse 1 New to Practice/Apprentice exhibits UPHS organizational behavioral competencies which reflect its mission and are embedded in the professional practice competency domains.
- The Clinical Nurse 1 New to Practice/Apprentice is accountable for the provision of direct care to patients who may range in age from infancy to the elderly and demonstrates within the competency domains of Continuous Quality Improvement, Evidence Based Practice and Research, Leadership, Person and Family Centered Care, Professionalism, Safety, Teamwork, and Technology/ Informatics (Definitions listed below).
- The Clinical Nurse 1 New to Practice/Apprentice works closely with the interprofessional health care team to facilitate the coordination of care across the continuum. The nurse focuses on developing the knowledge and skills necessary to provide individualized care based on physical, psychosocial, cultural, educational, safety, and age-appropriate considerations of assigned patients.
- The Clinical Nurse 1 New to Practice/Apprentice requires consultation with more experienced clinicians and benefits from feedback while demonstrating growth in the ability to care for increasingly complex patients. The nurse demonstrates how nursing practice impacts the organizational vision, mission, and goals and the care delivery system. The nurse complies with all regulations and standards of regulatory and accrediting bodies.
- The Clinical Nurse 1 New to Practice /Apprentice must complete all Clinical Nurse 1 competencies and is expected to advance to the Clinical Nurse 2 Colleague level by 18 months of professional practice. See addendum.
- Professional Practice Competency Domains Definitions
- Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI): The nurse utilizes data and QI methods to identify potential and actual problems and opportunities to provide care that is safe, timely, efficient, effective, and equitable.
- Evidence Based Practice and Research: The nurse evaluates and integrates best current evidence with clinical expertise and patient and family preferences and values for the delivery of optimal health care and system effectiveness.
- Leadership: The nurse effectively collaborates and applies innovative, systems thinking to engage in systematic, evidence-based problem solving and decision making to promote effective changes within a complex care delivery system supporting the vision of Penn Medicine
- Person and Family Centered Care: The nurse recognizes the patient (or the patient’s designee) as the source of control and a full partner in providing compassionate and coordinated care based on respect for the patient’s preferences, values, and needs.
- Professionalism: The nurse demonstrates a commitment to the nursing profession through lifelong learning, adherence to ANA’s Code of Ethics for Nurses, participation in a professional organization and advancing community outreach
- Safety: The nurse minimizes risk of harm to patients, families, providers and self through system effectiveness and individual performance.
- Teamwork: The nurse effectively engages in the process of cooperation, coordination, and collaboration in an effort to provide for safe, quality outcomes for patients within inter and intra-professional teams, including virtual teams.
- Technology/Informatics: The nurse utilizes appropriate information and technology to communicate, manage knowledge, mitigate error, and support decision making across the continuum.
- BLS/CPR, as a healthcare provider as per the American Heart Association
- RN or RN-GRAD or RN-TEMP (Required)
- Pennsylvania RN licensure
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Science Nursing (Required)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE