Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Director of Operations Penn Specialty Practices - OBGYN
Job ID: 167171
Work Type: FT
Location: Bala Cynwyd, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jan 9, 2023
Work Schedule: Variable
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Director of Operations for Penn Specialty Practices (PSP) OBGYN provides strategic and operational leadership and financial oversight to assigned ambulatory clinics. The Director assures that these clinics maintain a patient focus, meet quality standards, and achieve fiscal viability by meeting or exceeding budget, in addition to demonstrating operational excellence. The incumbent supports the creation of a patient-focused organization designed to support delivery of highest quality care and attract and develop a team of highly capable, committed providers, managers, and clinical support staff who share a passion for patient-centered care. For embedded locations, the PSP DOO will partner with their PPC DOO to ensure management and staff are supported, have the necessary tools for patient care, and are engaged and informed of the specialties they support. The incumbent contributes to shaping strategic, operating and financial plans by partnering with CPUP, PPC, Service Lines, and hospital entities. The scope for this position could range from: 25-100 providers, 50-80+ staff, 50K-150K+ annual patient visits and $1M-15M+ in operating revenue.
- Financial Management: Value of Care Delivery
- • Assumes overall accountability for financial performance across the assigned specialty practices. Holds practice operational and physician leadership accountable, where and when necessary, to meet established goals.
- • Partners with physician and financial leadership teams in developing performance targets, reporting variances and creating remediation plans. Ensure practices are aligned with all standards. Support implementation of managed care contracts and operational processes. Communicates performance targets and expectations to practice leadership and provides support to help ensure success.
- • Maximize operational workflow in practices and ambulatory sites to ensure optimal utilization of the team. Redistributes resources based on needs. Maintains a comprehensive understanding of practice operations including: scheduling, registration, authorization/referral, and billing/coding functions.
- • Monitor performance of practices and sites via scorecards, P&Ls, and key performance indicators (KPIs). Perform trend analysis and develop/implement required changes to meet desired goals. In partnership with revenue process team, optimizes accounts receivable processes and outcomes within each practice/area of accountability. With support from finance, manages the annual operating and capital budgets for practices, facilities and programs.
- Patient Care Processes:
- • Ensures all patient care related processes within each practice setting deliver high quality and efficient care to patients and their families by:
- ◦ Ensuring that teams and individuals have the clinical, information and organizational tools to serve our patients and customers effectively and efficiently.
- ◦ Continuously communicates to physicians, practice managers and staff the importance of patient satisfaction, quality of care, and sound financial performance
- ◦ Champions our successes and priorities for improving performance in meeting and exceeding patient and customer expectations.
- • Directs the alignment of people within each practice and facility to work as a team in creating a seamless delivery system.
- Quality Improvement and Regulatory Compliance:
- • Responsible for ensuring practice leadership understands, and are held accountable to, expectations for attaining performance measurement and develops management system for key success elements: access, quality, service and value.
- • Builds and leads to sustain a culture, which promotes innovation, teamwork and customer service excellence. Ensures that established system standards and policies and procedures are adhered to consistently.
- • Demonstrates willingness to test changes and adjust standard processes when better ways emerge via data. Facilitates the spread of good ideas across the region and escalates in effort to foster spread and system collaboration.
- • Implements and adheres to leadership rounding activities. Ensures all areas of accountability are compliant with all federal, state and local regulatory standards and requirements for practices under their leadership.
- Team Creation and Development
- • Develops and maintains strong internal relationships within the entity and across UPHS through open, timely, and direct communication. Spends deliberate time with staff and providers to understand needs and to build trust. Develops and maintains strong professional working relationships with external partners, including vendors, business affiliates, and other contracted services.
- • Engage teams with appreciative inquiry by asking open-ended questions and sincerely listening to people’s responses to create an environment that fosters trust and transparency. Champions curiosity in effective meetings to brainstorm and discuss ideas, promotes participation, makes improvement the norm and provides the support needed to execute.
- • Participates in and champions the recruitment process for management, provider, and staff positions; identifying candidates that demonstrate professionalism and cultural fit. Directly supervises practice managers and other assigned employees; holds direct reports accountable to standards of professionalism – leads by example.
- • Develops staff by ensuring work expectations are clearly defined and communicated; addressing performance issues and skill deficits immediately and professionally – managing staff to results; and assigning work that uses staff skills/talents, provides responsibility and challenge, allows for creativity, and offers leadership opportunity.
- • Develop, educate and coach physician and management leaders relative to interpersonal skills serving to maximize employee and customer experiences, adherence and efficiency.
- • Creates a learning culture, promotes psychological safety with all stakeholders, and proactively develops change management strategies for major organizational activities. Identifies and facilitates agreement of major messages which are consistent, equitable, credible and reflect core values.
- Internal and External Relationships:
- • Ensures patient/customer satisfaction through comprehensive and continuous measurement of satisfaction for all key customer groups. Identifies gaps in patient satisfaction, determines root causes, works with practice management to develop plans for improvement, and monitors progress.
- Strategic Planning:
- • Partners with key stakeholders in developing a strategic plan and budget, implementation plans, and ongoing brand and market strategies per specialty (providing assistance to practice managers as needed). Participates in the development of strategic capital and other resource priorities and manages them for maximum benefit.
- • Develops programs, services and initiatives to anticipate future customer needs, build customer loyalty and generate profitable growth. Has ability to inform, influence and provide sound rationale to physicians in recommending strategic change. Drives operational integration of programs by ensuring alignment of communication with Leadership.
- • Collaborates with the marketing team in the planning and execution of marketing plans.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- Business, Healthcare Admin, or related field
10+ years relevant experience required, including 8+ years prior management experience, preferably in a healthcare setting
- Master of Arts or Science
- Business, Healthcare Admin, or related field
Degree may be considered in lieu of some experience
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE