Job ID: 167440
Category: CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant)/ Nursing Assistant
Work Type: FT
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jan 10, 2023
Work Schedule: 7:00PM-7:30AM
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
General Summary Statement
Responsible for general office management and clerical and receptionist duties on the Nursing Unit. Facilitates order entry and processing. Coordinates administrative support activities.
Adheres to Nursing Policies and Procedures and Organizational Goals and Objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Communications and Customer Service
1. Assists visitors find patient rooms, staff members and other resources.
2. Facilitates transport of patients at discharge.
3. Facilitates the patient belongings process as needed, including that the hand-off of belongings occurs at admission, transfer and discharge.
4. Facilitates calls to physician on behalf of nurses, avoiding duplication.
5. Demonstrates correct use of communication systems such as intercom, pager system, phone functions, pneumatic tube, and other department based systems.
6. Uses unit specific communication tools and applies to practice. Checks email regularly and posts items at the request of nursing leadership. Seeks clarification from Nurse Manager or Director as needed.
7. Performs follow up phone calls to patients if requested by nursing leadership.
8. Performs customer service rounding and surveys for patients upon request of nursing leadership.
9. Answers call bells in a timely manner and communicates needs to responsible staff, or handles themselves if a simple request.
10. Follows up to ensure that call bells have been addressed.
Patient Care Responsibilities
1. Provides age appropriate care for the patient population served. For example, gives consideration to growth & developmental phase of life, to age related factors such as thermal regulation, nutrition, safety and functional needs of the patient.
2. Uses appropriate resources for patients with special needs such as language barriers, sensory problems, altered cognition, cultural and religious needs.
3. Integrates principles of infection control & infection prevention into practice.
4. Uses standard precautions and uses personal protective equipment.
5. Interacts with the patient in a manner that preserves patient dignity, privacy, and meets psychosocial needs of the patient.
6. Bathes patients and provides assistance with hygiene. (Includes baths, mouth care, shaves males, combs hair, washes patient’s hair as requested.)
7. Changes bed linens for occupied and unoccupied beds.
8. Changes incontinent patients promptly and provides appropriate skin care.
9. Empties bedpans, urinals, commodes, and assists patient to the bathroom.
10. Assists patients with meals, feeds patients as needed.
11. Distributes nourishment as scheduled.
12. Provides fresh water at bedside as appropriate.
13. Measures and records intake and output.
14. Positions patients correctly, aligns and supports torso and limbs as directed and per patient comfort.
15. Transports patients via wheelchair or stretcher using safety measures appropriate for patient and vehicle.
16. Uses proper body mechanics when transferring patient during ambulation and bed – chair transfers.
17. Makes hourly rounds for patient safety and customer service.
18. Responds to patient call lights in a timely manner.
19. Obtains vital signs and weights, and records.
20. Applies chest leads for patients on remote telemetry monitoring, and performs basic troubleshooting, such as replacing loose or missing electrodes.
21. Collects and labels urine, stool, sputum specimens as directed.
22. Inventories patient belongings at admission, transfer and discharge.
23. Provides 1:1 patient supervision in “Sitter” role for patient safety and suicide precautions.
24. Uses resources and references for reviewing policies and procedures, information needed to complete job duties.
25. Prioritizes and organizes work effectively within assigned shift.
26. Performs procedures within the scope of the Policy and Procedure Manual.
27. Performs EKG’s for patients as requested by RN.
Education Training and Experience
High School diploma or equivalent. Training and/or experience at an acute care or skilled nursing facility or student nurse with hospital based clinical experience.
Basic computer skills: keyboard, mouse use. Ability to complete data entry on clinical documentation screens. Ability to use email, and internet. Ability to successfully complete on the job training for CCH computer programs.
Ability to speak, read, write and understand English.
CPR certification required.
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Certification Preferred
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.