Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Certified Nursing Assistant Ambulatory-Derm
Job ID: 164428
Category: CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant)/ Nursing Assistant
Work Type: FT
Location: Radnor, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jan 10, 2023
Work Schedule: Day
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Penn Medicine Derm Med Radnor is looking for a Full-time Certified Nursing Assistant!!!!
- The Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) assists the clinical manager and physicians in maintaining a patient/customer focus, supports the delivery of high quality care, shares a passion for patient and customer centered care, and assists in meeting or exceeding patient satisfaction. The CNA provides patient care through performance of patient preparation, interviewing, technical tasks, ADL support, and patient/family communication.
- Patient Care Accountabilities:
- Promptly rooms patients, using EMR to alert provider that patient is ready: reviews past medical, surgical, family, smoking history, allergies, medications; notes corrections in EMR, notes medication refills needed for the physician to review, initiates self-management goal setting where appropriate, obtains patient’s vital signs and documents in EMR, prepares chart for patient visit, understands insurance restrictions for lab work, referral needs, precertification requirements, etc.
- Observes patient condition and communicates any abnormal data or changes to provider.
- Assists patients as needed with ADLs including but not limited to walking, transfers, dressing, undressing, preparing for the exam, remains in exam room when necessary/requested.
- Specimen management: obtain specimens for testing if applicable (including performing phlebotomy and anterior nares nasal swab collections), performs laboratory and screening tests, records results in EMR and reconciles with logs where appropriate, documents and reports findings to providers, performs all quality controls as per Point of Care Testing guidelines, prepares specimens for transport as necessary.
- Performs EKGs and other outpatient screening tests as per MD order and after properly preparing the patient; accurately documents results in EMR.
- Assists with minor surgical procedures by handing instruments, maintaining sterile field, positioning of patient and other duties within scope of responsibility. Functions as a witness for procedural consents if required.
- Responds appropriately to emergency/code situations.
- Demonstrates competence in the observation, treatment, and care of the specific patients served in that practice, whose ages may range from neonate to geriatric.
- Clerical / Other Accountabilities:
- Responsive and proactive telephonic patient care - including care coordination with specialists, ancillary services, hospitals, labs, home care agencies, and all other involved health services.
- Obtain and scan documents as appropriate and required for visit: test results, faxes, reports, notes, referrals, etc.
- Completes medical forms and other clinical requests for information as appropriate and required. Prepares and sends patient correspondence as required. Assists nursing staff with the maintenance of patient education materials, as needed.
- Environmental / Safety Accountabilities:
- Adheres to universal body fluids precautions and infection control policies. Disposes of infectious waste properly. Promotes infection control by using appropriate hand washing techniques.
- Ensures that the patient care areas are kept neat, orderly, well stocked and properly prepared.
- Cleans, disinfects, and sterilizes instruments and equipment according to protocols and checks that the instruments and equipment are in proper working order. Notifies Supervisor of malfunctions. Sets up equipment and instruments as per practice protocol.
- Cleans and restocks equipment as needed. Authorized to access secured area to obtain items such as intravenous solutions and medication preparation supplies for the purpose of stocking and maintaining pars in the medication carts. Retrieves supplies and medications/blood products from tube system. Secures stock items in appropriate location. Delivers patient specific medications/blood products to the assigned nurse or provider.
- Maintain temperature log for refrigerator or room temperature as needed.
- Maintains a safe environment and protects the patient from injury by observing the patient who may be at risk for falls, confusion, disorientation, or wandering behaviors.
- Other / Regulatory:
- Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulatory standards (ex TJC, DOH, FDA, HIPAA, HCFA, DPW, LCGME, SCGME, etc)
- Flexible and readily adopts new processes and engages in practice operation changes.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- Certified Nurse Aid (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Other (Required)
- in lieu of certification, must be a nursing student matriculated in an accredited BSN nursing program having minimally completed the nursing foundations/fundamentals clinical course with a 3.0 GPA overall and in the nursing major and continue to maintain a 3.0 GPA in all nursing major subjects. In order for nursing students to maintain their position as a CNA, they must continue in a matriculated BSN program and present evidence with an official transcript documenting a 3.0 GPA overall and in the nursing major each semester to CPUP nursing leadership. Nursing Students are required to submit grade reports/transcripts to CPUP nursing leadership within 60 days of their course completion. Nursing students employed as CNAs, must immediately (within 24 hours) and in writing report to their supervisor and CPUP nursing leadership if they have not sustained the academic GPA requirement or discontinued/withdrawn from their matriculated BSN program. Failure to meet and maintain nursing student requirements in lieu of certification will result in termination of your nursing assistant position. If the Nursing Assistant completes a nursing degree and obtains nursing licensure they may continue to practice within the scope of the Nursing Assistant job description until they are able to transition into a different position within or external to the organization.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE