Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Clinical Dietitian - Part time - Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Job ID: 168903
Work Type: PT 20+ HOURS
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jan 20, 2023
Work Schedule: Days
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania is Seeking a 32 hour/week Registered Dietitian for Day Shift
- Responsible for the clinical nutrition care of patients at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and/or Penn Medicine at Rittenhouse. Functions as a professional consultant and member of the health care team providing high quality, evidence-based nutrition care for varied patient populations in the in-patient and/or ambulatory care setting. Performs nutrition assessments, provides nutrition education and develops nutrition care plans. Actively manages nutrition therapy interventions including the care of patients receiving enteral and parenteral nutrition. May participate in multidisciplinary patient care rounds as appropriate to patient population served. Participates in department team-based education programs (continuing education, education of students and professional visitors) and quality assurance and performance improvement initiatives/outcomes projects. Maintains comprehensive medical nutrition therapy knowledge and engages in continuing education. Provides nutrition care and practices as part of an interprofessional team within the Clinical Nutrition Support Service.
- Direct Patient Care
- Competently performs nutrition assessments, identifies nutrition diagnosis, develops nutrition interventions/plan of care, monitors and evaluates outcomes of nutrition care/interventions.
- Applies department evidence-based practice guidelines to the routine care of patients.
- Communicates with the Health care team to effectively implement nutrition care plan.
- Demonstrates patient-centered care, compassion, sensitivity and respect in all interactions with patients, visitors and other hospital personnel.
- Demonstrates skills and knowledge necessary to assure that nutrition assessment, treatment and care is appropriate based on the unique chronological issues and needs of the adolescent, young adult, adult and older adult patient.
- Professional Performance; competently performs the following:
- Provides quality services using a systematic process with identified ethics, leadership, accountability and dedicated resources.
- Demonstrates competence in and accepts accountability and responsibility for ensuring safe, quality practice and services.
- Provides safe, quality services based on patient expectations and needs and the mission, vision and values of the organization.
- Applies research to enhance practice. Demonstrates evidence-based practice which incorporates available research and information in the delivery of nutrition care.
- Applies knowledge and expertise in communications.
- Uses resources effectively and efficiently. Demonstrates leadership through strategic management of time, finances, facilities, supplies, technology, natural and human resources.
- Displays a high level of professional conduct at all times.
- Balances patient care priorities and department and/or hospital required activities.
- Maintains patient/client confidentiality.
- Demonstrates teamwork by displaying a cooperative relationship with co-workers, consistently. treating others with respect and using open and honest communication.
- Clinical activities
- Provides patient education as a routine intervention, in specialized groups including support groups, group education classes if applicable to area of practice.
- May participate in patient related projects, workgroups individually or in partnership with specialist or advanced practice dietitians and/or manager or director.
- Participates in Quality assurance and performance improvement department initiatives.
- Retains Registration and licensure through attainment of continuing education.
- Attends Clinical Nutrition Support Services education program.
- Is expected to serve as a preceptor for nutrition interns.
- Supports student shadowing experiences as requested.
- Participates in and completes initial and annual competency training required for the position.
- Licensed Dietician-Nutritionist (Required)
- State of Pennsylvania Licensed Dietitian Nutritionist (LDN) within 6 months of hire required.
- Registered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration as a Registered Dietitian (RD)/Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) required.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree required. Completion of an Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) accredited didactic program in dietetics and 0 to 2 years of related experience required.
- Dietetic Internship Program, Individualized Supervised Practice Pathway (ISPP) or integrated supervised practice training to meet accreditation standards required.
- Prefer experience in clinical practice within an acute care hospital preferred.
- Master of Arts or Science EFFECTIVE only if initial date of registration (RD, or RDN) is after 1/1/2024.
- Experience with transplant patients preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE