Job ID: 169128
Category: Physician Assistant
Work Type: PT -19 HOURS
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jan 25, 2023
Work Schedule: Days
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
The Department of Family Medicine located near the Pennsylvania Hospital campus is searching for a dynamic PRN Physician Assistant for their practice.
In the primary care outpatient setting, the PA-C acts as a key member of the health care team with various roles to fill. The PA-C serves as a primary care and acute care provider. This includes managing a patient panel of appropriate size and complexity. This management takes the form of direct office-based care as well as non-office based inter-visit care such as phone-based care or virtual visits. The PA-C works collaboratively with his/her collaborating physicians in the care of this patient panel.
The PA-C will also support the triage nurses and other providers within the practice.
The PA-C is also responsible for providing care management services to high needs patients assigned to the practice. This includes working collaboratively with the Population Health Director and nursing staff to actively manage the health care of patients with complex needs through in-person visits, telephonic encounters and coordination with other service providers.
PA-C's are encouraged to work within the quality improvement structure of the department to take an active role in quality efforts. This may take the form of active involvement in team meetings / panel management or participation within the patient centered medical home model. FNP’s may also act as educators for NP students rotating within the office. This should not be expected at all times or be significantly burdensome as to interfere with clinical care of the patients within the provider’s panel.
Incumbent is responsible to promote organizational values of patient and visitor satisfaction by demonstrating courtesy and respect for all their families, visitors, and other employees. This position cares for patients in all age groups from newborns through geriatrics, and the candidate must demonstrate competence in the assessment, treatment, and care of patients served.
· All Physician Assistants function under the guidelines as designed by the Penn Medicine medical staff and are credentialed through that body. The Physician Assistant will be held accountable through a formal job description, delineation of privileges, and through a Written Practice Agreement with their supervising physician. All clinical work hours and associated requirements will be defined and managed under the direction of the supervising physician and within the Human Resource guidelines. Provides direct clinical care for patient population according to established protocols and utilizes evidence-based practice standards in collaboration with team. The Physician Assistant will contribute to excellence in education, leadership, professionalism, and clinical practice.
· Provides direct clinical care for the patient population according to established protocols and utilizes evidence-based practice standards in collaboration with the team.
· Maintains accurate and confidential medical records. Documents all medical evaluations, diagnoses, procedures, treatment, outcomes, education, referrals, and consultations consistent with organizational standards in electronic medical records.
· Identifies self properly to the patient and family and clarifies the role of Physician Assistant if necessary.
· The Physician Assistant shall function within their scope and refer to the supervising physician when outside of scope, and/or directed by the supervising physician, or when requested by the patient.
· Performs interventions specific to assigned patient population and written agreement.
· Participates in the performance improvement processes to meet the quality of care and service standards.
· Demonstrates awareness of professional responsibility as a role model to peers and members of the health care team.
· Perform approved therapeutic or diagnostic procedures based on patient’s clinical status.
· Addresses patient and family concerns and creates a therapeutic relationship to provide support.
· Provide patient education, counseling, and instruction regarding patient diagnosis, medical treatments, medications, and preventive care.
· Participates in and supports accreditation, compliance, and regulatory activities of the organization.
· Participated in preceptorship of PA/NP students and other healthcare learners.
· Identifies patient/family needs for community resources and refers them appropriately.
· National Commission for Certification of Physician Assistant (Required)
· Physician Assistant Board Certification (Required)
· Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
· Advanced Cardiac Life Support for providers in the acute setting
Education or Equivalent Experience:
· Master of Science (Required)
· Master’s degree required except for current employees grandfathered prior to implementation of PAaCE. The Physician Assistant must be reviewed by the Credentials Committee and approved by the medical board. Graduate of Accredited Physician Assistant Training Program
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.