Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
New Patient Coordinator- Med Hematolgy Oncology, Cherry Hill, NJ
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 169140
Work Type: FT
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ, United States
Date Posted: Jan 25, 2023
Work Schedule: Variable
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- This position is responsible to provide optimal new patient coordination in an integrated, multi-disciplinary environment. Care will be coordinated across multiples specialties and ancillary departments within UPHS. Employee will ensure that all new patients are well prepared for their first visit by making certain patients are being seen by the appropriate physician and specialty and that patients arrive for their appointment with all pertinent information to ensure optimal care coordination (medical records, test results, referrals, copays). In addition, patients will be provided information on directions, parking and building navigation.
- The position requires that the individual convey a positive image of UPHS through excellent communication and customer service skills in support of patients/families and to ensure an ideal patient experience.
Department: Med Hem Onc Cherry Hill
Location: Penn Medicine Cherry Hill- 1865 Route 70 E
- Act as point of contact for all new patients for department.
- Serve as specialty expert of nuances of care coordination so that patients are seen by the appropriate physician and specialty.
- Schedule new patient appointments with appropriate physician and/or group with emphasis on working with providers on a regular basis to ensure that the right diagnosis and patient is scheduled with appropriate provider.
- Coordinate new patient appointments as needed with Patient Facilitated Services and Penn Health Referral.
- Follows new patient coordination protocols to ensure that patients are coordinated and prepared for visit in an organized, consistent and seamless manner.
- Coordinate/organize all facets of new patient appointment – scheduling, coordination of medical records, test results, pathology results – all information needed to ensure an optimal level of care coordination.
- Coordinates the scheduling of diagnostic tests, other evaluations and review of necessary information prior to new patient appointment.
- Responds to patient inquiries or problems. Answer questions regarding practice, procedures, tests, directions etc.
- Coordinate the retrieval and flow of outside medical records to ensure receipt and appropriation (review by provider, scanning, etc.) of records for visit.
- Ensures appropriate retrieval, processing and returning of patient radiology films, CDs, slides and other related items.
- Manages physician new patient IDX schedules, ensures appropriate preparation of new patient charts and information 48 hours prior to date of new patient visit or services.
- Reschedules new patient appointments appropriately.
- Ensures optimal patient experience through coordination and communication.
- Follows Health System and Department Protocols for Epic Messaging.
- Communicates issues effecting flow with managers and providers as necessary. Keeps manager aware of potential issues or problems as they arise.
- As required, maintains compliance with all federal, state and local regulatory standards and requirements, including TJC, Department of Health, funding agencies, FDA, HIPPA, HCFA, DPW, LCGME, SCGME, department specific guidelines and other.
- Ensures patients have been properly registered and referred to Financial Counseling. Makes sure new patients arrive for new patient appointment with referral and copays, as appropriate.
- Maintains an excellent understanding of managed care plans and protocols for referrals, co-payments, and pre-certification.
- Readily adopts and is engaged in practice operation changes
- Is proficient in the use of all system applications necessary for practice operations, including, but not limited to:
- IDX (and its applications)
- CHART ONE
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree preferred and Two years of experience in a medical office setting or Customer Service experience.
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- High school diploma or equivalent required. College-level coursework in business, accounting, or health care administration strongly preferred.
5+ years A minimum of five years of experience in a medical office setting or Customer Service experience. Specific knowledge of precertification requirements, CMS medical necessity required, and third party billing knowledge is ideal. Experience with spreadsheet and word processing software preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology and office procedures.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE