Job ID: 168973
Category: Genetics/Genetics Counseling
Work Type: FT
Location: Princeton, NJ, United States
Date Posted: Feb 2, 2023
Work Schedule: Day
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Penn Medicine Princeton Health is hiring a genetic counselor. The genetic counselor will be based in oncology, and they will provide risk assessment, genetic testing, and care coordination for patients with suspected hereditary cancer risk. The genetic counselor will practice in Plainsboro, NJ but will be welcomed into a Penn Medicine genetic counseling network that services patients across other Penn sites in the region (Cherry Hill, Philadelphia, Radnor, Valley Forge, Chester County, Lancaster).
· Prepare for cases by identifying relevant medical records and working with administrative team to ensure that these are obtained.
· Collect and evaluate patient medical history, construct a pedigree using appropriate nomenclature.
· Perform comprehensive genetic risk assessment, explain natural history of diagnosis, explain relevant genetic factors, explain available testing and facilitate testing.
· Interpret genetic test results and communicate to patients and other healthcare professionals.
· Perform psychosocial assessment.
· Document clinical encounter; write clinic notes, physician letters, patient letters, and other communications.
· Collaborate with supervising physicians/providers and other care providers.
· Begin to recognize areas for process improvement within the clinic.
· Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures.
· Demonstrate an interest in growth through participation in professional activities.
· Serves as clinical resource for staff within the unit and communicates effectively.
· Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization UPHS.
Master's Degree ACGC accredited genetic counseling training program And 1+ years Demonstrated effective communication within a clinical setting to contribute to continuity of care.
One year clinical genetic counseling experience or relevant clinical rotation experience.
Experience working within an academic health care setting preferred.
Familiarity with an electronic medical record systems comparable in complexity currently utilized EPIC EMR.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.