Job ID: 169884
Category: Physical/Occupational Therapy
Work Type: PT -19 HOURS
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Feb 6, 2023
Work Schedule: Day
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Penn Sports Medicine Center Weightman Hall is looking for a part-time Athletic Trainer for the Ortho Sports Med dept!!!
Summary: Responsible for the prevention, evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation of student-athletes and related illness at assigned schools and game event locations. Provide athletic training game coverage for events specified by the Athletic Training Services Coordinator as well as selected events at contracted schools throughout the school year. At the discretion of the Senior ATC, the ATC may also be rotated through Penn Orthopedics offices to perform general clinical support functions, including casting. Assist with general clinical coverage as needed over the summer. Receives general supervision and reports to the Head Athletic Trainer.
• Position will offer the opportunity for full time work during the Fall of 2023 in the high school setting
• Following the Fall season, many opportunities to work primarily in the Penn club sport and local private high school and collegiate settings
Responsibilities: Problem Sensitivity — The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem. Oral Expression — The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand. Oral Comprehension — The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences. Inductive Reasoning — The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events). Speech Clarity — The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you. Information Ordering — The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations). Written Comprehension — The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing. Deductive Reasoning — The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense. Speech Recognition — The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person. Near Vision — The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
• Conduct an initial assessment of an athlete's injury or illness to provide emergency or continued care, and to determine whether they should be referred to physicians for definitive diagnosis and treatment.
• Care for athletic injuries using physical therapy equipment, techniques, and medication.
• Evaluate athletes' readiness to play, and provide participation clearances when necessary and warranted.
• Apply protective or injury preventive devices such as tape, bandages, or braces to body parts such as ankles, fingers, or wrists.
• Assess and report the progress of recovering athletes to coaches and physicians.
• Collaborate with physicians to develop and implement comprehensive rehabilitation programs for athletic injuries.
• Advise athletes on the proper use of equipment.
• Plan and implement comprehensive athletic injury and illness prevention programs.
• Develop training programs and routines designed to improve athletic performance.
• Travel with athletic teams to be available at sporting events.
NATA certification in athletic training is required.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
A Bachelor's Degree is required. Masters or Physical Therapy degree preferred. Minimum 2 years to 3 years of athletic trainer experience or equivalent combination of education and experience, preferably in a college setting. Must be licensed or eligible for licensing in the state of PA. Ability to communicate effectively and willingness to work nights/weekends/holidays and travel as required. Valid driver’s license required.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.