Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Perioperative Nurse Professional Development Specialist @ Hospital Of University of Pennsylvania
Job ID: 167884
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Feb 8, 2023
Work Schedule: M-F
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Perioperative Services Department at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) is seeking a Nursing Professional Development Specialist. The Perioperative NPDS is an integral part of the perioperative quality and safety team that fosters knowledge acquisition for intraoperative nurses through guidance, mentorship, and the cultivation of perioperative practice.
The Perioperative NPDS partners with the perioperative nursing leadership team to create a premier educational foundation for new to practice nurses and provide opportunities for the application of new knowledge to enhance ongoing learning.
This candidate is an integral member of the perioperative quality and education team working collaboratively to prepare nurses using evidence based education through the classroom and clinical experiences, to integrate quality and safety into perioperative practice.
- The Nursing Professional Development Specialist (NPDS) practices within the professional practice model of his/her institution and exhibits Penn Medicine's core values in order to promote nurses' professional development in alignment with his/her organization's strategic plan. Working from a specialized knowledge base, the NPDS provides expert consolation in collaborative partnership with various stakeholders to design, implement, and evaluate educational programs that uphold practice standards, support evidence-based practice, and improve the delivery of high quality, comprehensive, individualized patient-and-family-centered care.
- The NPDS provides leadership to identify the nursing staff's learning needs and responds to these educational needs while considering the effected patient populations, new clinical evidence, and organizational goals and changes both locally within the health system and nationally/globally. Each NPDS serves as a vital liaison to communicate and negotiate multiple perspectives within his/her organization in a respectful and effective manner to achieve/advocate positive change and delivery of appropriate and ethical care. The ultimate goals of NPDS specialty practice are the provision of quality care and protection of the public. The domains of education, program management, career development, scholarship, and leadership are adopted from Nursing Professional Development: Scope and Standards of Practice (ANA, 2010).
- Educational Programs – Create and develop an innovative educational program that employs adult learning principles and varied educational methodologies to address the learning needs of nursing staff and support their professional practice. Assess learner characteristics and implement a variety of teaching strategies tailored to the learners characteristics, learning needs, and outcome objectives. Plan culturally relevant programs that incorporate concepts of multicultural and multigenerational education and demonstrate a sensitivity to ethical, cultural, and spiritual inclusion.
- Learning Environment – Develop a strong and effective learning environment. Select appropriate psychomotor, cognitive, and affective educational content by using various materials and techniques. Collect data from a variety of sources in the global and organizational environment and evaluate all resources within the area of practice for accuracy, readability, and comprehensibility to help learners access quality information. Use educational methodologies to enhance critical thinking and incorporate interactive and reflective strategies into educational programs.
- Program and Project Management – Develop relationships with stakeholders at various levels and disciplines to plan and develop educational programs that drive change and promote excellence. Function in the roles of both teacher and facilitator by coordinating and documenting implementation of plans necessary to achieve desired outcomes. Evaluate factors such as safety, effectiveness, availability, cost, and benefits. Consistently use planning methodologies when implementing, facilitating, and evaluating various programs and projects. Prepare content reflective of Evidence-Based Practice and Practice-Based Evidence.
- Program Evaluation - Evaluate the impact of educational programs on educational and organizational outcomes. Design and implement systematic and useful evaluation plans for programs and projects. Oversee the ongoing systematic collection of data and review for new developments. Revise programs based on performance evaluation data. Participate in quality and safety improvement activities. Use process and outcome measurement and evaluation methods to evaluate staff and patient outcomes.
- Scholarship and Career Development – Manage self-development on a professional and educational level and promote lifelong learning in others. Acquire new knowledge and skills relevant to specialty, practice setting, role, and learner diversity. Seek experiences to maintain and improve competence in NPD and nursing. Promote participation in professional organizations and scholarship for self and others. Participate in nursing and professional development organizations and support involvement of individuals in their own professional development.
- Program Leadership – Consult with stakeholders throughout the organization to develop educational programs that align with the strategic needs of the organization. Advocate for NPD programs that support the needs of the learner and the organization by prioritizing individual and agency needs. Anticipate and forecast new developmental trends by reviewing available data and information that are relevant to specific situations. Function as a change agent and leader by incorporating new knowledge and skills to initiate change. Promote problem solving and engage in ethical decision making. Use organizational strategic plans and goals to determine educational priorities.
- Organizational Leadership – Act as an organization leader by modeling professional behavior. Implement motivational strategies at an individual, group, and program level. Demonstrate energy, excitement, and passion for quality of work. Effectively facilitate the group process by providing leadership in the coordination of multidisciplinary healthcare and community resources. Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information by evaluating factors related to privacy and security. Communicate consultation recommendations to stakeholders to influence plans, enhance work of others, and effect change.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- Registered Nurse - PA (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Master of Arts or Science (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Nursing, from an accredited school of Nursing
3+ years of relevant experience
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE