Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Surgical Tech (OR Tech) - Operating Room @ Hospital of University Of Pennsylvania
Job ID: 165659
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Feb 10, 2023
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Operating Room (OR) at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) has an opportunity for a Surgical Technologist/OR Tech to join the team.
The Perioperative Services Department at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) includes the operating room, the post-anesthesia care unit (PACU), the ambulatory procedure unit (APU), the SurgiCentre at the Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine and the endoscopy suite. Operating room nurses at HUP are key members of the surgical team. They provide the highest level of care to patients during surgical procedures.
With 12 specialty areas, the operating room performs a variety of surgical procedures including cardiac, vascular, transplant, trauma and neurosurgery in a state-of-the-art environment. The highly skilled nurses in the ambulatory procedure unit and SurgiCentre provide a superior level of care to those who have undergone outpatient surgical procedures.
- Provided supportive nursing care to selected patients under direction and supervision of the professional nurse; facilitates patient care by meeting specific nursing care requirements and assists in performance of patient care measures; informs the registered nurse of any signs, symptoms of untoward responses.
- Need for environmental safety, comfort
- Identifies patient according to HUP Policy before carrying out functions.
- Carries out HUP fire and safety regulations.
- Promotes infection control:
- Washes hands before and after patient contact.
- Carries out isolation procedures according to Infection Control Manual. Deals with blood and body fluids according to the standard precautions policy.
- Reports needle stick injuries to charge nurse.
- Reports exposure to communicable diseases and infections.
- Clinical Aseptic Technique
- Demonstrates principles of aseptic technique in clinical practice.
- Follows aseptic technique when opening sterile supplies.
- Sterilizes instruments and supplies in autoclaves as directed by Perioperative policies
- Follows department policy on scrubbing, setup, gowning and gloving.
- Observes for contamination and/or breaks in aseptic technique.
- Drapes the patient with sterile materials in the manner directed by the surgeon or RN circulator.
- Demonstrates proper handling of implants and prosthesis.
- Follows proper procedure for handling contaminated instruments after procedure i.e. cleans case cart
- after removing instruments.
- Uses appropriate instrument tables for each case i.e. back and side tables.
- Aware of legal responsibilities regarding instrument, needles and sponge counts.
- Follows policy for case with incorrect counts, reports and documents discrepancies appropriately.
- Counts and signs items as dictated per OR count policies.
- Follows safe practice when drugs and solutions are placed on the sterile field.
- Labels all drugs and solutions properly.
- Assist in the proper labeling, handling of all surgical specimens.
- Utilizes policies and procedures as a resource
- Routinely attends in-service programs
- Follows Perioperative Call Policy
- Demonstrates the ability to facilitate each case progression in a timely manner.
- When prompted provides relief staff with accurate report
- Knows when to seek help
- Technical Skills
- Modifies scrubbing procedures based on patient’s individual needs.
- Able to set up procedure in a timely manner.
- Responds to an emergency situation with the help of other team members.
- Makes professional use of downtime
- Acts as team player.
- Problem Solving
- Learns to identify and report defective instruments, supplies and equipment.
- Maintains a safe environment by learning and following safety rules.
- Learns active communication skills
- Respects patient’s rights to privacy, safety and dignity i.e. HIPPA.
- Learns professional attitudes and behaviors.
- Learns to share knowledge gained through participation in continuing education activities.
- Respects patient’s rights to privacy, safety and dignity.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Learns teamwork by assisting other team members in such activities as room cleaning, turnover, case set up, patient transport, instrument cleaning etc. in a timely manner.
- Continuous Quality Improvement
- Learns concepts of continuous quality improvement.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Other (Required)
- Certification as Surgical Technologist or graduation from an approved practical nurse program OR 5+ years Related medical or hospital based surgical experience
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE