Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Clinical Nurse 2 - Surgical Intensive Care Unit (ICU) @ HUP - FT - Rotating
Job ID: 170773
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Feb 15, 2023
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Critical care nurses at Penn Medicine work with health care professionals in the surrounding community and from around the world to establish long-term, collaborative relationships. Penn's critical care nurses are committed to being reliable and trustworthy resources for helping provide most advanced treatment options to meet the needs of patients. They strive to maintain open lines of communication with physicians and their patients to ensure that each patient's care is as seamless as possible.
SICU Unit Description
The SICU is located on the 5th floor of the Rhoads Building at HUP. The Rhoads 5 Surgical Intensive Care Unit is recognized by the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN) as a Gold level Beacon Unit for Excellence. The Rhoads 5 SICU is a 24 bed unit serving a diverse population of critically ill patients from various specialties including: GI, Vascular, Thoracic, ESS, Surgical Oncology, Colorectal and ENT, among others. With a very high patient acuity conditions such as shock, acute respiratory distress syndrome, and multisystem organ failure are commonly managed. The cultural, ethnic and religious backgrounds of the patients are diverse, with the health system set in a large urban community. It is common to care for patients from all over the world who are seeking specialty surgical services.
- The Clinical Nurse 2 Colleague is an RN that practices as a full partner on the health care team and consistently demonstrates safe practice within the organizational professional practice model.
- The Clinical Nurse 2 Colleague possesses the knowledge, skills and the attitude to effectively meet standards for competent professional nursing practice as specified in the Clinical Nurse 2 position description addendum.
- The Clinical Nurse 2 Colleague exhibits UPHS organizational behavioral competencies which reflect its mission and are embedded in the professional practice competency domains.
- The Clinical Nurse 2 Colleague independently provides patient care through the application of the nursing process and accepts accountability for the nursing care of assigned patients. Assigned patients may range in age from infancy to the elderly.
- The Clinical Nurse 2 Colleague demonstrates within the competency domains of Continuous Quality Improvement, Evidence Based Practice and Research, Leadership, Person and Family Centered Care, Professionalism, Safety, Technology/Informatics, and Teamwork (Definitions listed below).
- The Clinical Nurse 2 Colleague works closely with the interprofessional health care team to facilitate the coordination of care across the continuum. The nurse focuses on expanding the knowledge and skills necessary to provide individualized care based on physical, psychosocial, cultural, educational, safety, and age appropriate considerations of assigned patients.
- The Clinical Nurse 2 Colleague seeks feedback in assuming leadership roles and provides feedback for improved clinical practice. The nurse demonstrates how nursing practice impacts the organizational vision, mission, and goals and the care delivery system. The nurse complies with all regulations and standards of regulatory and accrediting bodies.
HUP is dedicated to focusing on the needs of patients and their families. HUP's nursing culture delivers high quality, patient-centered care that is influenced by education, experience, and research. Nurses practicing at HUP:
- Provide high quality, individualized, evidence-based and fiscally responsible nursing care.
- Are driven by an environment of continuous improvement that is fast paced, high achieving and competitive.
- Are motivated and encouraged to thrive through accountability, peer evaluation and a shared governance model that empower nurses to have a voice within their practice.
- Are rewarded for innovation, assertiveness and offering input that contributes to improved patient care.
- Are "knowledge workers" and professionals who use their specialized knowledge to problem solve and use their unique skills to accomplish their work.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- BLS/CPR, as a healthcare provider as per the American Heart Association.
- Registered Nurse - PA (Required)
- Pennsylvania RN licensure
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Science Nursing (Required)
- BSN from an accredited school of nursing and More than 15 months relevant professional nursing experience and completion of the Nurse Residency Program, if applicable
- Open to Assoicates of Nursing degrees if enrolled in a BSN program
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE