Job ID: 167976
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Feb 17, 2023
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
The Patient Services Coordinator (PSC) assists the manager and/or physicians in maintaining a patient/customer focus, supports the delivery of high quality care, shares a passion for patient and customer centered care, and assists in meeting or exceeding patient satisfaction and financial/operational targets within in the Transplant department. In addition to performing the duties of a Patient Services Associate (check in/out, patient registration, appointment scheduling, referrals/pre-authorizations), the PSC will be expected to oversee the daily schedule and operations of an assigned area/group. The PSC serves as the APM expert and the liaison between staff and Managers/Physicians to ensure daily performance expectations are communicated and met. In the absence of the manager, the PSC may take on additional responsibilities.
· Ensure self and assigned area(s) are compliant with all applicable federal, state, and local regulatory standards (ex TJC, DOH, FDA, HIPAA, etc)
· Manage the day-to-day planning, operations and problem solving for assigned areas – ensure daily schedule, staffing needs, and performance metrics are met. Communicates changes appropriately.
· Develops and maintains APM templates and master schedules
· Oversight of AHIQA. Runs regular financial reports and works towards reconciliation. Resolves work queues and/or issues from front-end reports. Proactively prioritizes recovery of missing charges.
· Generates/runs reports to monitor and coach real-time performance against pre-established expectations/metrics. May be responsible for gathering information for performance reviews.
· Act as the communication link between the group he/she is leading, and management. Disseminates information to the group and forwards information back up to management.
· Effectively works with manager and providers to establish, implement, and maintain practice policies, procedures and efficient systems that support daily operations.
· Assists staff in resolving difficult patient situations or complaints
· Participates in the interviewing process and oversees the training of new hires.
· Perform surgery scheduling, as needed/required by the practice.
· May provide administrative support to physicians or manager(s).
· Patient Service Associate Responsibilities:
· Strives to understand and anticipate patient needs, manages service recovery efforts when needed, enlisting management assistance as appropriate, identifies opportunities to improve the patient experience.
· As per practice/department protocols and/or measurements: answer phones in a timely manner, manage/handle patient requests and route appropriately, retrieve voicemails in a timely manner, take accurate and thorough messages and route appropriately through EMR.
· Schedule patient appointments (on phone or in person) by determining reason for visit, following established schedules and protocols, using appropriate billing area/appointment location, communicating changes and confirming appointments, and, as needed, offering alternative and canceling/rescheduling appointments.
· Responsible for arriving/departing activities of patient at practice and performs point of service activities: collects copays and records accurately, obtains necessary signatures/forms, obtains insurance cards and referrals/authorizations, updates appointment status in EMR, and finalizes all check-out procedures.
· Communicates with patients regarding patient flow and wait times – keeps manager aware of potential issues as they arise.
· Issues referrals and obtains pre-authorizations for patients as required and as per protocol.
· Maintains up to date knowledge of insurance requirements pertinent to patient service and billing procedures: including basic knowledge of all managed care plans and which insurers require a copayment or referral.
· Validates patient demographic/insurance information and/or registers new patients into EMR using established protocols.
· Records receipts accurately to ensure end of day reconciliation; participates in cash reconciliation delineations.
· Resolves work queues and/or issues from front-end reports; proactively prioritizes recovery of missing charges.
· Orders supplies for the office and generates front-end process reports as requested.
· Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
· Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
H.S. Diploma and 3+ years of Medical Office experience. Advanced degree (AS, BS, Masters may be considered in lieu of experience
Associates Degree or Bachelors Degree preferred
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.