Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Job ID: 172952
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Feb 22, 2023
Work Schedule: Day Shift
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Full Time- Day Shift
- The Ophthalmic Scribe assists and works under the direct supervision of the Ophthalmologist. The responsibilities include accompanying the physician into the examination area and assisting with the documentation of each patient's medical record during an out-patient visit or out-patient procedure. The scribe documents results of the external exam, anterior segment exam, posterior segment exam, fluorescein angiography, laser, ocular injection treatments, minor surgical procedures, and physician findings. The ophthalmic scribe may be asked to maintain patient flow, directing the physician to the next examination room, insuring the correct sequence of events occurs for each patient, designates through EPIC the correct colored dot be assigned to each encounter throughout the workflow of the patient's exam. The scribe reviews patient chart and ensures that each section is closed. The scribe prints out patient After Visit Summary (AVS) Medication Rx, Eyeglass Rx and delivers documents to physician. In addition to these duties, the ophthalmic scribe may be assigned to act as a facilitator to patients as they arrive at each location ensuring the patient is directed to the correct area for ancillary testing prior to a physician visit or escort the patient to the various locations within a department when necessary.
- Accompanies the physician into each patient exam area & procedures
- Log onto EPIC under own credentials
- Documents in EPIC the results of physician’s findings related to the external, anterior segment, and posterior segment, fluorescein angiography, laser and ocular injection treatments, minor procedures and impression and plan.
- Designate through EPIC the correct colored dot be assigned to each patient ensuring the correct workflow
- Prints AVS, Medication RX, Eyeglass Rx
- Performs Universal Protocol on all patients receiving procedures
- Train other Scribes as assigned by manager
- Assist with managing patient flow and call patients into the room when ready for physician.
- Act as facilitator to patients as they arrive ensuring the correct sequence of examinations are performed
- Act as an escort to patients when necessary
- Ability & willingness to travel to different department locations
- Assist manager with clerical duties
- Perform errands between departments
- Assist manager with room and medication inspections
- Readily receives patients at the beginning of each schedule
- Maintains tidy exam rooms throughout the day
- Ensures that medications are secured at all times
- Informs manager of all instrument and equipment problems that require servicing by Bio-Medical, Service Rep, or Help Desk Support
- Responds to patient inquiries and problems
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Preferred)
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 0-1 years' Experience in healthcare, or as a medical secretary (Required)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE