Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Medical Receptionist (Princeton)
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 171857
Work Type: FT
Location: Robbinsville, NJ, United States
Date Posted: Feb 23, 2023
Work Schedule: FT
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Medical receptionist position responsible for scheduling patient appointments, receiving and processing outpatients, collecting and communicating patient demographic/insurance information, data entry of patient services and co-payments, payment reconciliation and deposit, processing referrals and pre-certification of procedures for a multi-specialty physician outpatient practice located in a hospital environment.
- Perform work accurately, thoroughly, and in accordance with departmental and PHCS/PHMA standards. Identify problems and refer them/offer suggestions appropriately.
- Maintain a positive approach and positive relationships with others. Support departmental and Medical Center initiatives and change efforts.
- Greet incoming patients, noting their arrival time in the scheduling system.
- Confirm patient demographic information by providing form and HIPAA privacy notice to patient for completion.
- Instruct new patients in proper method to complete new patient information forms, obtain insurance information, set up medical record and attach copies to the encounter slip.
- File demographic/HIPAA information in medical record and make copies of new insurance cards. Update/ enter e-MDs demographic information.
- Collect appropriate co-payments for managed care members, post payment and issue receipt.
- Collect referrals, when appropriate, enter information on e-MDs.
- Ensure that medical record is updated on EMR and checked in on a timely manner.
- Answer assigned telephone lines appropriately and promptly, transferring to correct parties when necessary. Take clear and precise messages, assuring they are placed in appropriate location for communication.
- Take messages off assigned voice mail lines, returning calls promptly and following through with requests.
- Transfer phones to answering service during lunch and at end of day. Follow up with service on any messages.
- Schedule patient appointments for all physicians by telephone or in person.
- Process patients completing their office visits. Collect co-payment, enter patient services to patient’s ledger with proper CPT/ICD9 coding and modifiers. Schedule follow up appointment and coordinate physician notes or referrals with appropriate front desk personnel.
- Confirm appointments for next day, reminding them to bring referrals/records.
- Coordinate procedure scheduling for additional testing, as ordered by physician.
- Note cancellation/missed appointments in electronic chart, and follow up with patient to reschedule.
- Reschedule patients when necessary due to physician vacations, seminars, and meetings.
- Pull medical records when required for patient care or requests. Obtain necessary signed release from patient.
- Scan medical records and correspondence as needed.
- Maintain knowledge of managed care and third party billing requirements relative to front desk processes, including insurance verification, co-payments and referrals.
- Assist patients, physicians, department staff and other hospital staff with questions or problems, as appropriate.
- Maintain standards of confidentiality and participate in unit compliance.
- Accountable for improving patient care through adherence to all patient safety and quality standards, regulations, and best practices.
- Any other duties, as assigned.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- High school diploma and two years of medical receptionist/front desk experience required, to include knowledge of medical terminology/abbreviations and physician office operations required.
- Associate of Arts or Science
- Associates degree or coding certification preferred.
Two years of medical receptionist/front desk experience required, to include knowledge of medical terminology/abbreviations and physician office operations.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE