Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Director of Volunteer Services
Job ID: 173448
Work Type: FT
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Date Posted: Feb 23, 2023
Work Schedule: Full-time Day Shift
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
GENERAL SUMMARY STATEMENT
This position is responsible for the recruitment, training, retention, recognition and management of adult and teenage volunteers. The director’s role is to meet the current volunteer requirements of the Hospital and its satellite venues and planning for future needs while creating a positive and fulfilling environment for the volunteer team. Additional duties include development and implementation of policies, compliance, competency assessment, budget development and control and personnel administration.
- This role administers and coordinates the functions and staff in the Volunteer Services Department and the Volunteer Program which consists of 1 FTE and 2-part time weekend employees.
- This role additionally supervises the management of two Women’s Auxiliary Retail shops including; Women’s Auxiliary Gift Shop at CCH and the Encore Consignment Shop in Kennett Square. Oversight includes 2 FTE Staff and several part-time staff. Also responsible for communication with CCH Foundation leadership, volunteer recruitment, attendance during monthly board meetings and special event participation.
- The Director of Volunteer Services (DVS) is directly responsible for the function and volunteer staff of the Procedural Suite Check-In, Main Lobby Information Desk, Hospital Errands/Transportation, VolunTeen Program and the Summer Student Program areas. The position is indirectly responsible for the volunteer staff for all other hospital departments, satellite areas where volunteers are located and for court-ordered community service volunteers. The volunteer staff consists of approximately 400 volunteers.
- The DVS is directly responsible for the oversight of the Red Coat Ambassadors.
- The director is responsible for the preparation and management of the operating and capital budgets.
- This role serves a support function for the Physical Therapy and Radiology Departments for the documentation and orientation of university interns.
- The DVS analyzes department performance in relation to established goals; implements change for continual improvement and ensures compliance with internal and external standards as well as regulatory and legal requirements. Ensures the department is in constant compliance with Joint Commission and State and Federal regulations. Monitors Press Ganey and HCAPS survey results, communicates the results and develops corrective action plans if needed.
- This position is a liaison to the community and advocates and recruits for the Hospital and the Volunteer Programs. The DVS engages with the community and speaks to targeted community groups and coordinates non-financial donations from the community to the Hospital.
- This role includes providing support of the Women’s Auxiliaries activities, and special events when requested.
- The DVS is the liaison with clergy and lay people from community congregations and the Hospital.
- The DVS must have excellent communication skills to build relationships and engage with the community.
- Effectively hires and manages staff, promptly addresses performance concerns, recognizes staff, completes performance evaluations on time. Ensures all staff competencies are performed on time. Listens to employees and addresses their concerns in collaboration with other stakeholders as needed.
- Effectively manages projects including information system planning, implementation and upgrades, collaborating as needed with Information Technology.
- Establishes, identifies and ensures systems and standards to promote volunteer and employee safety and safe practices for delivering patient care.
- Manages all equipment and related service contracts.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE; CERTIFICATION/LICENSURE, SPECIAL EQUIPMENT, SKILLS OR OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelors Degree is required. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- 5 years’ experience in healthcare management or non profit volunteer management
- CAVS (Certified Administrator of Volunteer Services) preferred
- Membership and participation in local volunteer management professional groups such as PSDVS (Pennsylvania Society of Director of Volunteer Services) and DVAVA (Delaware Valley Association of Volunteer Administrators) is preferred and required upon hire
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE