Job ID: 173560
Category: Clinical Support
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Feb 24, 2023
Work Schedule: Days 40 hours per week
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
The Clinical Services Coordinator (CSC) assists the manager and/or physicians in maintaining a patient/customer focus, supports the delivery of high quality care, shares a passion for patient and customer centered care, and assists in meeting or exceeding patient satisfaction and financial/operational targets. In addition to performing duties as a Medical Assistant (rooming patients, taking/recording vitals, performing tests/procedures), the CSC will be expected to oversee the daily schedule and operations of an assigned area/group. The CSC may also be required to perform PSA (Patient Services Associate) responsibilities. The CSC serves as the EMR expert and the liaison between staff and Managers/Physicians to ensure daily performance expectations are communicated and met. In the absence of the manager, the CSC may take on additional responsibilities.
Responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following:
Ensure self and assigned area(s) are compliant with all applicable federal, state, and local regulatory standards (ex OSHA, TJC, DOH, FDA, HIPAA, etc.)
• Oversees the POCT process to ensure accuracy and compliance.
• Report and act upon identified equipment/instrument malfunctions.
• Manage the day-to-day planning, operations and problem solving for assigned areas – ensure daily schedule, staffing, and performance metrics are met and changes communicated appropriately.
• Monitor and coach real-time performance against pre-established expectations/metrics. May be responsible for gathering information for performance reviews.
• Act as the communication link between the group he/she is leading, and management. Disseminates information to the group and forwards information back up to management.
• Effectively works with manager and providers to establish, implement, and maintain practice policies, procedures and efficient systems that support daily operations.
• Assists staff in resolving difficult patient situations or complaints.
• Participates in the interviewing process and oversees the training of new hires.
Medical Assistant Accountabilities:
• Promptly rooms patients, using EMR to alert provider that patient is ready: reviews past medical, surgical, family, smoking history, allergies, medications; notes corrections in EMR, notes medication refills needed for the physician to review, initiates self-management goal setting where appropriate, obtains patient’s vital signs and documents in EMR, prepares chart for patient visit, understands insurance restrictions for lab work, referral needs, precertification requirements, etc.
• Observes patient condition and communicates any abnormal data or changes to provider.
• Assists patients as needed with walking, transfers, dressing, undressing, preparing for the exam, remains in exam room when necessary/requested.
• Specimen management: obtain specimens for testing if applicable, performs laboratory and screening tests, records results in EMR and reconciles with logs where appropriate, documents and reports findings to providers, performs all quality controls as per Point of Care Testing guidelines, prepares specimens for transport as necessary.
• Performs EKGs and other outpatient screening tests as per MD order and after properly preparing the patient; accurately documents results in EMR.
• Assists with minor surgical procedures by handing instruments, maintaining sterile field, positioning of patient and other duties within scope of responsibility. Functions as a witness for procedural consents if required
H.S. Diploma/GED And 2+ years Medical office experience, or 4 years of customer service experience required Or
Advanced degree (Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's) may be considered in lieu of experience
MA Certification (required within 90 days of hire)
CSA essential skills:
Demonstrated interpersonal/verbal communication skills
Demonstrated organizational skills:
Ability to multi-task
Ability to effectively communicate verbally and writing required
Attentive to detail
Computer/EMR skills and Knowledge of third party billing requirements
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.