Job ID: 173930
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Feb 28, 2023
Work Schedule: Days 40 hours per week
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Penn Presbyterian Medical Center has a Manager of Pastoral Care opportunity
The Manager of Pastoral Care will provide direct supervision and support to the Pastoral Care Department. It will also provide
direct pastoral care to the patients/families and staff of the Presbyterian Medical Center as the institution's Chaplain. PPMC
Pastoral Care team members are a cornerstone of the Penn Patient Experience and the model patient-center care.
• Manage the 24/7/365 Pastoral Care Department under the direction of the Director of Patient Experience.
• Creating administrative and educational resources for the Department and the hospital; both as a presenter and organizer.
• Creating worship resources and leading worship for the hospital.
• Develop and/or secure resource materials for the Department and the hospital
• Practical application of pastoral care to our patients, guests and staff.
• Coordination and execution of religious holidays (Hanukkah, Kwanza, Christmas, Ramadan, Ash Wednesday, Easter, etc.).
• Organize annual Martin Luther King, Jr. recognition/services.
• Co-Chair PPMC Ethics Committee.
• Participation in various hospital and health system committees.
• Build relationships with other Pastoral Care leaders across Penn Medicine.
• Manages daily operation of department through appropriate staffing levels, monitoring of activities, and ensuring
compliance with department and organizational policies.
• Demonstrates ability to influence staff to promote a productive and focused environment.
• Allocates decision-making and other responsibilities to appropriate staff, utilizing staff time and skills effectively.
• Effectively organizes essential functions and modifies order of priorities in extenuating circumstances to meet patient and
• Assesses, analyzes and implements corrective action in response to problems.
Bachelor's Degree Theology preferred
5 – 7 years of progressive experience in pastoral care or chaplaincy required.
Completion of one (1) unit of Clinical pastoral Education or equivalent
Masters degree of Divinity endorsed by a religious body to serve in chaplain role preferred
Personal and professional qualities appropriate for serving as spiritual counselor in hospital setting required
Strong verbal/written communication and advanced computer skills including proficiency in all. Microsoft Office
Must have excellent people skills and be able to work with diverse groups.
Must be well organized and detail oriented with the ability to be flexible, calm, and handle multiple tasks in a fast
Must have strong interpersonal skills and proven self-motivation and ability to motivate others to reach excellence
in service delivery.
Proven record of strong human relations and interpersonal skills.
Demonstrated ability to be objective, articulate, even tempered, and to respond appropriately to unexpected
Must have a sound understanding of safety requirements.
Ability to talk with patients and families about their hospital experience.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.