Job ID: 173620
Work Type: PT -19 HOURS
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Mar 6, 2023
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Position Title Surgical Pathology PRN Clerk
Title of Immediate Supervisors: Histology Supervisor
Department and Entity: Dept. of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Summary of Accountabilities.
• Follows established SOP for the collection and processing of pathology specimens for analysis and evaluates and solves problems related to that process.
• Cleans and maintains tissue processors, strainers, embedding stations, and other lab equipment, tools, and workstations. Loads and unloads solvents and reagents, as needed. Runs and maintains solvent recycling equipment. Manages the inventory in the flammable closets. Properly labels and prepares the hazardous waste generated in the lab for removal.
• Performs instrument maintenance according to established protocols and schedule and maintains current and accurate records of such. Distributes slides or samples to other lab areas. Files current and archival blocks in an appropriate time period. Maintains inventory of equipment and supplies; notifies Supervisor of the need for replenishment before the supply runs-out. Stocks workstations with supplies. Unpacks and stocks consumables.
• Uses effective interpersonal skills in all interactions, answers telephone inquiries to the best of knowledge, research answers if required and returns answer to caller without transferring caller unnecessarily. Works well with peers and those in authority. Maintains a positive rapport with medical staff and hospital personnel, communicates in a highly professional manner at all times.
• Complies with all Hospital and Laboratory Safety regulations, reports hazards to the Safety officer or Supervisor when found; completes in-service mandatory education on or before the due date.
• Responsible for maintaining adequate staffing on all three shifts, weekends and holidays.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Minimum Certifications, Registry and/or Licenses Require
Minimum Degree Requirements and Experience Required
Education equivalent to completion of high school. Familiarity with computer workstation preferred. Previous experience performing related duties preferred. The incumbent should learn to perform the job satisfactorily within three months.
Incumbent must be self-motivated and exercise independent judgment. Clerk is required to observe biohazard waste handling, chemical hygiene, and fire and emergency procedures. As a member of a team consisting of accession clerks, pathologist assistants, residents, fellows and pathologists, the technician is expected to maintain an open line of communications with other members of the team and the histology lab. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required. The incumbent is expected to provide organizational values of patient and visitor satisfaction by demonstrating courtesy and respect for patients and their families, visitors and other employees.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.