Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
FT Patient Care Associate Day/Night Shift Wright Saunders 3 (Med/Surg) - Penn Presbyterian Medical
Job ID: 174430
Category: CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant)/ Nursing Assistant
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Mar 6, 2023
Work Schedule: Days
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Wright Saunders 3 is a 12-bed fast-paced inpatient Medical/surgical unit primarily serving the adult population of West Philadelphia. Patients cared for on this unit have a wide variety of medical related diseases and the staff specializes in independent telemetry monitoring.
- The Patient Care Associate works with and under the direct supervision of a registered nurse with whom s/he is regularly teamed to deliver optimal patient care through the use of the nursing process.
- Performs selected procedures or assists with treatments and procedures as skills checklist according to Presbyterian Medical Center’s policy and procedure as delegated by the nurse.
- Integrates cost effective measures into nursing practice.
- Maintains and utilizes unit supplies in cost-effective manner.
- Manages workload and completes assignment on time.
- Responds flexibility to the needs of the unit.
- Collaborates with the registered nurse to plan, implements, and evaluate the plan of care.
- Collects and records admission data on appropriate forms.
- Documents observations and care rendered on the patient record in a timely and accurate manner (flow sheets, admission sheet).
- Maintains confidentiality in regard to patient care information and chart contents. Demonstrates respect for the patient’s Bill of Rights.
- Handles patient belongings according to Presbyterian Medical Center’s Policy and Procedures.
- Assists patients in the proper handling of valuable and personal belongings.
- Assist the patient in gathering personal belongings at time of transfer or discharge.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the PI program on the unit and adheres to all quality assessment and improvement standards.
- Knowledge of unit quality indicators.
- Performs glucose monitoring quality control.
- Ensures and maintains patient safety.
- Safely transports and transfers the patient.
- Maintains a clean and safe environment in patient care areas to include patient rooms, utility rooms, kitchen, hallways, and nursing stations.
- Utilizes restraints per Presbyterian Medical Center’s policy.
- Adheres to safety/falls policy.
- Documents per Presbyterian Medical Center’s policies and procedures.
- Records vital signs.
- Reports and/or records observation rounds.
- Records I & O.
- Respects each patient’s/customer’s personal dignity, right to privacy, and confidentiality.
- Provides individualized, planned, and appropriate care/service in settings that support the patient’s/customer’s care, treatment, rehabilitation goals, and/or specific needs.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skill necessary to provide care/service based on physical, psychosocial, educational, safety, and related criteria appropriate to the age of the patients/customers served in assigned area.
- Actions demonstrate an understanding of appropriate safety and infection control techniques and hospital policy.
- Participates in and supports departmental and organizational efforts to design, measure, assess, and improve its performance.
- Actions demonstrate an understanding of individual's role and how it relates to the delivery of care/service in the organization.
- Communicates with patients, families, physicians, unit’s nursing personnel, and all hospital personnel in an accurate and courteous manner (i.e., Dietary, Social Service, and Environmental Service).
- Welcomes and orients patients and families using Presbyterian Medical Center’s standards of guest relations so as to maximize patient satisfaction.
- Communicates pertinent patient care needs and information to the registered nurse or Charge Nurse in a timely manner.
- Reports to the nurse when needing further direction regarding patient care assignment.
- Initiates and maintains open communication with team and nurse manager.
- Works in cooperative manner with team.
- Accepts delegation.
- Communicates inability to complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Offers suggestions in a constructive manner, which could improve the management of the workload on the unit.
- Identifies learning needs and seeks assistance in skill development.
- Attends all mandatory inservices (CPR recertification, fire/safety, infection control, right to know, body mechanics, radiation safety, and electrical safety).
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- Certified Nurse Aid (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- CNA certification or nursing student who has successfully completed a clinical rotation in their nursing program.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE