Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Dining Services Associate
Job ID: 173024
Category: Food/Nutrition Services
Work Type: FT
Location: Plainsboro, NJ, United States
Date Posted: Mar 8, 2023
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Responsible for performing a variety of food preparation and service activities in a fast paced hospital kitchen. Primary duties include preparing cold entrees such as composed salads, gourmet sandwiches and cold entrée plates, packaging and labeling for timely pick up.
- Requires ability to read and follow recipes, measure ingredients, operate meat slicer and frequent cutting/chopping and high quality food plating.
- Secondary duties include preparing grill items, operating flat top, grill, fryer and cleaning of the equipment.
- Requires excellent customer service skills, a pleasant smile and enthusiasm to serve patients and customers during meal periods in cafeteria.
- Other duties include patient tray assembly, preparing basic desserts such as cookies, puddings, jello, etc., stocking refrigerators, rotating stock, labeling and dating, and maintaining food safety and cleanliness of work area.
- Responsible for providing an exceptional, caring and compassionate experience for patients and their families, visitors and guests of the hospital. Responsible and accountable for achieving patient satisfaction scores according to established departmental goals.
- Follows recipes when preparing cold entrees and salads, grill items or desserts.
- Completes food prep in a timely manner to meet delivery timelines for outpatient, inpatient and cafeteria services.
- Operates equipment properly and wears PPE when operating equipment or handling sharp objects.
- Assembles patient trays accurately following menus including protocol for allergens and special diets when identified.
- Stocks work station to maintain adequate supplies of foods for tray line, cold prep, hot service, etc.
- Serves guests in the cafeteria with a pleasant and welcoming smile, acknowledging them, educating them about menu offerings and promotions, ingredients and allergens.
- Requests assistance from manager or chef to address patient special requests.
- Labels and dates food products according to policy and procedures.
- Cleans and sanitizes tray line work surfaces, patient meal carts, steam wells, soda fountain nozzles, and other food contact surfaces as assigned.
- Stocks cafeteria with paper supplies, condiments, beverages and other supplies as needed consistently.
- Contributes to a positive working environment by being polite, courteous and respectful of co-workers, patients and guests of the department.
- Follows all departmental policies regarding food safety, infection prevention, employee hygiene, hazardous material and waste disposal processes.
- Complies with federal, state and local health and sanitation regulations and departmental sanitation procedures.
- Identifies and utilizes chemicals following directions recommended by manufacturer and per MSDS sheets.
- Adheres to Emergency Preparedness Program. Participates in disaster drills, as appropriate. Adheres to Life Safety Program and participates in fire drills as appropriate.
- Participates and attends departmental meetings and staff development programs as appropriate.
- Exhibits pleasant and cheerful demeanor and maintains helpful approach towards employees, physicians, patients and visitors.
- Wears ID Badge at shoulder level. Complies with department uniform standards.
- Maintains a clean, sanitary working environment.
- Reads and complies with hospital and departmental policies and procedures as applicable.
- Demonstrates positive approach to completing additional work or duties as assigned.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- High School Graduate/GED/Equivalent Work Exp
At least One (1) Year previous related work experience in food prep, cooking, serving and customer service skills.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE