Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
PRN Pharmacy Technician - Pennsylvania Hospital
Job ID: 174542
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Under the direct supervision of registered pharmacists, assists in the preparation and filling of medication orders and medication carts; performs critical pharmacy calculations; compounds sterile and non-sterile preparations using appropriate pharmaceutical technique. Utilizes various computerized programs and technical equipment for the various functions listed above. Performs medication distribution to patients. Performs nursing unit quality assurance inspections. Restocks and reorders necessary pharmacy inventory. Satisfactorily passes required hospital and government validation examinations.
- Accurately interprets and fills all inpatient and outpatient (if applicable) medication orders under the direct supervision of a registered pharmacist.
- Accurately performs all dosage calculations necessary to prepare or compound a medication for dispensing to a patient.
- Uses aseptic technique and accurately prepares sterile parenteral medications.
- Demonstrates and maintains proficiency in all preparation and dispensing processes, including IV admixture preparation.
- Satisfactorily passes validation testing as required by various regulatory agencies.
- Effectively utilizes available technology - (including, but not limited to Omnicell, clinical information systems, labeling, and distribution technology) - in completion of responsibilities.
- Effectively and efficiently adheres to established workflow processes. Is flexible in accepting reassignments of responsibilities, as determined by supervisor or supervising pharmacist.
- Adheres to all departmental service commitments to hospital, including deliveries, pickups, requisitions, automated dispensing fills and executes them in a timely fashion.
- Assists co-workers during busy times and periods of staff shortages.
- Proactively assesses and maintains adequate medication and supply inventory levels in all areas of the pharmacy and other areas of the hospital. Communicates replenishment needs as necessary per departmental procedures.
- Proactively identifies and maintains adequate inventory levels of extemporaneously prepared and pre-packaged medications.
- Documents and maintains accurate records of drugs prepared and wasted. Maintains repackaging log according to departmental policy.
- Demonstrates dependability through adherence to established attendance and lateness standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervising pharmacist or pharmacy management in an effective and timely manner
- Certified Pharmacy Technician - PTCB required within 6 months of hire.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Prior pharmacy experience preferred.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE