Job ID: 176319
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: 8hr Days
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Anatomic Path Lab Technical Assistant performs pre-analytical laboratory tasks, preparatory, and maintenance activities in support of Surgical Pathology, Cytopathology, and Medical Pathology and the Morgue under the direction of the Supervisor.
• Follows established SOP for the collection, electronic tracking, and processing of pathology specimens for analysis, and evaluates and solves problems related to that process. This includes working in a satellite lab in peri operative suite and collecting surgical samples on demand within a short time frame directly from Operating Rooms. Professional face to face reconciliation of surgical samples with the OR nursing staffs in a surgical suite during an operation. Uses Penn Chart EPIC and Laboratory Information System to determine storage locations of shared samples and collaborates with other labs to obtain and retrieve shared samples.
• Accurately reviews patient samples and requisitions to properly capture all requested tests and evaluate the suitability of the sample. Maintains accurate and orderly log records and/or worksheets where required according to established SOP’s. Accurately checks worksheets and lists in the lab Information system and Penn Chart EPIC to ensure all pending and completed work is promptly captured.
• Promptly register and/or accession cases and sends batches to the lab. Accessions cases into Laboratory Information Systems/Penn Chart using appropriate patient and specimen identifiers. Register and verifies insurances. Enters and releases orders in Penn Chart EPIC and creates appropriate appointments as required. Must use independent judgement and higher level of decision making to ensure proper match of orders in Epic OpTime with surgical specimens being handed off in the surgical suite with limited access to a pathologist assistant or a supervisor.
• Cleans and maintains cryostats, frozen section stain lines, and other lab equipment, tools, refrigerators/freezers and work stations. Loads and unloads specimen coolers, PEVCO tubes, and capstone red carts from external and/or internal divisions, as needed. Manages the inventory in the flammable closets, supply rooms, on-site Fine Needle Aspiration rooms, and supply caches throughout each lab. Properly labels and prepares the hazardous waste generated in the lab for removal.
• Retrieves surgical specimens from various operating rooms, Central Receiving, Labor and Delivery, and various other labs and delivers specimens to the appropriate area, using appropriate PPE. Manages tissue disposal, chemical waste disposal, including preparation of material for Humanity Gifts Registry. Occasionally assists with autopsy evisceration and release of bodies to funeral homes.
• Operates Roche Cobas aliquot sampler to prepare HPV samples for testing. Performs instrument maintenance according to established protocols and schedule and maintains current and accurate records of such. Distributes slides or tissue samples to designated specimen trays and specimen shelf according to service type. Files current and archival slides in an appropriate time period. Distributes frozen section slides to the appropriate staff member.
• Maintains inventory of equipment and supplies; notifies Supervisor of the need for replenishment before the supply runs out. Stocks workstations (to include multiple satellite FNA rooms and at with supplies. Unpacks and stocks consumables. Files blocks if applicable. Manages the storage and disposal of wet tissue.
• Uses effective interpersonal skills in all interactions, answers telephone inquiries to the best of knowledge, researches answers if required and returns answer to caller without transferring caller unnecessarily. Works well with peers and those in authority. Maintains a positive rapport with medical staff and hospital personnel, communicates in a highly professional manner at all times.
• Complies with all Hospital and Laboratory Safety regulations, reports hazards to the Safety officer or Supervisor when found; completes in-service mandatory education on or before the due date.
Department: Lab Path Surgical Pathology
Location: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania- 3400 Spruce St
Education or Equivalent Experience:
Education equivalent to completion of high school. Familiarity with computer workstation preferred. Previous experience performing related duties preferred. The incumbent should learn to perform the job satisfactorily within three months.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.