Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Chaplain Resident- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Job ID: 175433
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Mar 22, 2023
Work Schedule: To Be Determined
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania is seeking Chaplain Residents for their 2023-2024 CPE program:
- The Chaplain Resident promotes visitor and patient satisfaction and works in a cooperative, sensitive and non-judgmental manner with other hospital employees. May care for patients in all age groups. Demonstrates competence in assessment, treatment care of the specific patients served whose ages range from infancy through adolescence, adulthood and geriatrics.
- The Chaplain Resident works with other Pastoral Care department staff and members of other departments especially nursing and social work on a regular basis. Will have daily contact with patients and family members and occasional contact with community clergy and other outside agencies.
- Position includes night and weekend responsibilities.
- Visits patients and families of patients on assigned areas by referral or according to appropriate case finding criteria.
- Attend discharge planning sessions and other patient conferences as appropriate.
- Consult with staff and patients’ clergy as appropriate for patient care.
- Keeps appropriate patient care and statistical records.
- Make rounds and respond to emergencies throughout the entire hospital, while serving as the on-call chaplain for nights and weekends.
- Lead worship services in the chapel during weekend duty.
- Provide personal support for staff around crisis situations.
- Participate in staff continuing education with regard to spiritual needs of patients.
- Participate in a variety of Clinical Pastoral Education activities to direct and enhance the quality of Pastoral Care offered to patients, family and staff.
- Report regularly to the assigned Supervisor for coordination for pastoral care activities and for supervision of clinical work.
- Completes all appropriate reports of pastoral activity, including those required for the Clinical Pastoral Educational Program and the statistical reports using the computerized system.
- Participate in various hospital committees and serve in development of department projects.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required) Theological Education (Preferred)
- 1 unit of Clinical Pastoral Education or equivalent (Required)
- Endorsement by a religious body to serve in a chaplain role (Required)
- Personal and professional qualities appropriate for serving as spiritual counselor in a hospital setting (Required)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE